Raid Hd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
You configure them according to your RAID controller's manual or your OS-specific software RAID guidelines.

If you're buying 2 10ks, I can only assume you're looking to do RAID0

We could help you further if you told us what model motherboard you have and whether or not it has any sort of onboard RAID support.

my mobo is in my sig, it has raid support 0-6 has onboard controllers as well, thx

I mostly just want the fastest raid array i can get with those HD's

Consult your motherboard manual, but overall it should be pretty easy to do RAID0 with those. You'll need to install your OS from scratch. I'm assuming you're using Windows, since the "software with hardware assist RAID" those boards support is Windows-only.

Basically, you'll need to attach the two drives to the board, then run the RAID BIOS software as your machine boots. During POST it will tell you the hotkey to push. You may have to enable RAID in the BIOS, I cannot say for sure because I've never used a P5N.

Once you're in there, it's a simple matter to create an array. RAID0 is what you want, and from there you'll need to reinstall Windows. The motherboard should have come with a driver disk you need to give Windows during the install (it'll actually prompt you to push a button once the install CD begins loading, which you will need to do). Once you've loaded the driver, the install proceeds as normal.

With RAID0, you must understand that if one drive dies, you lose 100% of your data. Make sure if you keep anything important on this array that you backup the data to another place routinely.

If you DON'T want to install your OS to the RAID0, and merely add a RAID0 to your existing install to, say, install games on or use for video or audio editing, it's even simpler - you can add the drives and create the array, and assuming Windows is still booting at that point, load the driver into Windows post-install, then format the new array.

Great thank you, very help input. Found an option in my bios, lol I didnt think it was that simple, and yes I'm just using it for games, movies etc etc, so again thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back