RAID0, moved PC, wont boot, extremely slow, bad sectors! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, first off thanks for reading this, I am getting increasingly desparate to figure out how to salvage my data.

Okay, so I pack my computer into my car and drive it home from college, (might have gotten banged around a small amount between the seats), I unpack it and plug it all in, and extremely slow boot times, and it crashes upon trying to load windows.

This is with two raptor SATA drives in RAID 0.

I boot off my old IDE drive that had like a beta x64 windows copy on it and try to open up the raid drive, and it opens very slowly, I see the file structure, I can navigate, but slowly, some files can be pulled off, but the computer is freezing like every 2 seconds, and alot of the time the file transfer hangs. I have never had HD problems before so I run scan disk on it, it starts to find bad sectors and starts eating up the drive a bit, so I canceled that (later on searched and found out thats a mistake to do), so I plugged in each drive separately, and one of them passes all diagnostics tests fine, the other I ran hdd regenerator on the bad drive (and it found and started to fix bad sectors), and it is also running extremely slow with this drive plugged in, and it will never complete, I calculated out the time and it would take like 7 years to complete.

The harddrive vibrates and appears to be spinning and I do not hear any funny noises coming from the disk, also I ran memtest and that passed.

Now the money question is: what is wrong with this drive, and HOW can I attempt to salvage the data?

yes, yes, I know I should have backed things up, and I know raid 0 is a "no no" without backups, but too late now. Any help is appreciated!

-Eric

The hard drive is going bad, the do die without smoke and noise sometimes :) You can throw the WD diagnostic utility at it if you like to be sure.

As for salvaging your data, you just have to copy the files that are still intact. If there aren't too many bad sectors, then it can be done in your lifetime :p Some other program than Windows Explorer is a good idea. I'd recommend FAR manager or the DOS copy commands that let you ignore bad sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back