Raid0, partitions, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rculver9056

I've been reading the threads on this board to look for an answer to my questions, but I'm getting more and more confused!
Would you guys (and gals) be so kind as to give me a stright, plain answer to these questions...?

I've been searching alot lately on increasing HD performance, and I've read that creating a Windows partition (that will be at least 20% free when Windows, programs etc are installed), and also that using the RAID0 increases performance.

So what should I do? Won't doing both (ie. using raid 0, creating a Windows partition and another for documents, files etc) cancel each other out?
If I'm going to have to do one or the other, which one?

And the other question is that I've also read about backup to IDE drives being a problem. I want to use Vistas' own backup solutions to back up to an external hard drive - Would it really matter what this is? (I haven't actually got one yet).

Any comments / suggestions wuold be most welcome.
Thanks!
By the way, I have 2 identical SATA drives (I got that bit right...)

2 SATA drives ?

Does your Motherboard have 2 SATA connections ?
As you know each only has 1 Master connection.
But yes don't overload your C: OS drive.20 % for sure.
Also have room on D: for any on C; you might want to keep and store on D:
if you Format and install OS again.eg: Favorites,My Documents etc.
With the other one as D: you shoudn't need to partition C:
With D: depending on size you could make it D: and E.
In my case D is pictures and E is Music.
What are yours each in size ?
Caution though,SATA drives aren't easy to install
You need the Motherboard cd and Manual,definitly.
and i don't feel mine is any faster.Still 7200.Look for 10,000 i hear is around.
But you say you already have them.
Unles they can be exchanged,reply soon to this.

More info...

zipperman, thanks for your reply :)

My board has 6 (Yes six!) sata connectors, and the drives I'd like to use (2x250GB)are already connected. I did actually disable RAID in the BIOS to have 2x 250GB drives (partitions), but I can set up the RAID again no problem (I think... ;-)

What I want to do is to create 2 partitions (say 40GB and rest of space), then move my documents/pictures/movies/music etc. folders and page file to the other partition.
What I'd really like to know is will going ahead and making these drives RAID0 with this partitioning layout improve or hinder performance?

Thanks again for your previous answer.

Free or not free

rculver9056 said:
zipperman, thanks for your reply :)

My board has 6 (Yes six!) sata connectors, and the drives I'd like to use (2x250GB)are already connected. I did actually disable RAID in the BIOS to have 2x 250GB drives (partitions), but I can set up the RAID again no problem (I think... ;-)

What I want to do is to create 2 partitions (say 40GB and rest of space), then move my documents/pictures/movies/music etc. folders and page file to the other partition.
What I'd really like to know is will going ahead and making these drives RAID0 with this partitioning layout improve or hinder performance?

Thanks again for your previous answer.

Have you installed your OS on one yet ?
The time to partition is on your unused 250 for Windows as part of the process.
After files are installed you'll need something like $$$ Partition Magic.
It may still be possible,so wait for replys,but thats how i did mine into 3 on the OS drive
then installed XP Home on C: You can even name them.My Music and My Pictures.
Look for more details during the start of your OS install.I yhink you have to
know what keys to press or receive options from Format.
Sounds like you havn't installed anything yet.

I have Windows Vista on the drive, but it's no problem to re-install, and I can partition easily enough. Will setting RAID0 AND partitoning defeat the object (ie. good performance)...?

review this, think it over and decide what is important to you; a few milliseconds of
response time or a reliable HD where you can keep your data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back