RAM Color Slot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiders

I know that different types of ram (DDR1, DDR2,... etc) Have different color slots to tell the difference between them, my question is what color corresponds to which..? such as (from what i think I know :p )

Baige or Black = DDR1?
Black = DDR2?
Blue = DDR3?? I would like to know what blue is speciffically becuase that what my MB uses.

( ) = DDR4?
( ) = DDR5?

I would like to know for future MB upgrades

oh ok i looked a little and found out the multiple colors on my mb are for dual channel support, my question is then changed to "how can you tell what type of ram your mb uses"? I would do the obvious and look inside the comp but there unlabeled

Check your motherboard specifications as to the RAM type supported..

To find what memory you have installed use the program called CPU-Z.

Judging by your CPU I'd be very surprised if you had anything other than DDR2 in your PC and to take it further its very likely 667MHz could even be 533MHz if your computer was bought as a basic home PC.
However like Ritwik already posted the best way to tells is to check using CPU-Z, its free and quick to download and run. If your looking to upgrade your RAM I'd suggest going with a 4GB kit and removing the current "generic" RAM you have right now.
BTW very nice 4870 as a prize, wish I could win something half as decent as that.

I know that different types of ram (DDR1, DDR2,... etc) Have different color slots to tell the difference between them, my question is what color corresponds to which..? such as (from what i think I know :p )

Baige or Black = DDR1?
Black = DDR2?
Blue = DDR3?? I would like to know what blue is speciffically becuase that what my MB uses.

( ) = DDR4?
( ) = DDR5?

I would like to know for future MB upgrades

The different colors of your dimms have nothing to do with what type of ram your board will accept or use. each MB manufacturer use the color they do for aesthetics only. the reason they are two different colors as the gentlemen above me pointed out are for the proper placement of the ram to activate dual channel feature. check your board manual as some are designed to be placed in 0&2, and 1&3 to activate.....and others are designed to be placed in 0&1, and 2&3, to activate, especially in older boards. BTW, DDR4 and DDR5 are only used on some graphics cards, DDR4 for the system memory is due out in H2 2011.(according to JADEC) :) hope that helped.

Jumping the Gun.....

Judging by your CPU I'd be very surprised if you had anything other than DDR2 in your PC and to take it further its very likely 667MHz could even be 533MHz if your computer was bought as a basic home PC.
However like Ritwik already posted the best way to tells is to check using CPU-Z, its free and quick to download and run. If your looking to upgrade your RAM I'd suggest going with a 4GB kit and removing the current "generic" RAM you have right now.

Why would you suggest either of these actions before you know whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit, or whether the BIOS voltage is adjustable in order to utilize high performance RAM.

Why would you suggest either of these actions before you know whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit, or whether the BIOS voltage is adjustable in order to utilize high performance RAM.

Well its only a suggestion, I'm not sticking that gun to anyones head and telling them to go out and buy anything. When there is more information available things will become clarified, and for now I can suggest what I feel is most appropriate.

ah, thanks for the help, the board does use ddr2 and can support up to 4 gigs, though im not sure if the power supply can handle that, it is also unlabeled because it was custom built, though it runs the ati card no problem and that needs at least 500w, so im assuming its more than that

I'm sure you already know this, so this is just a reminder. If your OS is 32bit, it will not be able to utilize the entire 4GB of RAM. About 3.3 to 3.5GB is about what would be expected.

You can also derive a great deal of info about your PC by downloading and running "SIW" (System Information for Windows) from http://www.gtopala.com/ make sure you down the "Standalone English Version". This is an executable file that does not require installation. Just put it on the desktop, double click, and you'll be reading info about your computer until October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back