RAM/CPU Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

}{yBr!D^

Ok, this has been puzzling me for a while now... can the RAM exceed the speeds of the processor? (example: AMD Athlon XP 2.4GHz w/ 4GB of RAM *or 3GB*) nothing overclocked... or does the RAM has to be under the clock speed of the processor?

Normally you would choose ram that operates at the same fsb(front side bus) speed as your cpu.

Example. If your cpu runs on a fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective), then ram that is pc2700(ddr333) would be a good match. You could if your mobo supports it get faster ram. I.E pc3200(ddr400) This would normally run on a fsb of 200mhz(400mhz effective), but since the cpu is running on a fsb of 166mhz the ram would be effectively underclocked to the slower fsb.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, I know that... I mean this...

Ok... the processor is 1.7GHz FSB 333MHz, then I put let say... 3GB of RAM at PC2700, DDR333... thats what I mean, would the mobo read it even if it supports a max of 3GB's being that the processor is 1.7?

If your mobo supports the amount of, and speed of ram, then it doesn`t really matter what speed in mhz the processor runs at.

The fsb speed if of far greater importance.

Regards Howard :)

The MBoard determines the amount of RAM supported...it has nothing to do with the CPU speed. They are 2 different things.

patio :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back