RAM/CPU Question...

By }{yBr!D^
Dec 7, 2005
  1. Ok, this has been puzzling me for a while now... can the RAM exceed the speeds of the processor? (example: AMD Athlon XP 2.4GHz w/ 4GB of RAM *or 3GB*) nothing overclocked... or does the RAM has to be under the clock speed of the processor?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Normally you would choose ram that operates at the same fsb(front side bus) speed as your cpu.

Example. If your cpu runs on a fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective), then ram that is pc2700(ddr333) would be a good match. You could if your mobo supports it get faster ram. I.E pc3200(ddr400) This would normally run on a fsb of 200mhz(400mhz effective), but since the cpu is running on a fsb of 166mhz the ram would be effectively underclocked to the slower fsb.

Regards Howard :)
  3. }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^ TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

Ok, I know that... I mean this...

Ok... the processor is 1.7GHz FSB 333MHz, then I put let say... 3GB of RAM at PC2700, DDR333... thats what I mean, would the mobo read it even if it supports a max of 3GB's being that the processor is 1.7?
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

If your mobo supports the amount of, and speed of ram, then it doesn`t really matter what speed in mhz the processor runs at.

The fsb speed if of far greater importance.

Regards Howard :)
  5. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

The MBoard determines the amount of RAM has nothing to do with the CPU speed. They are 2 different things.

patio :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.