Ram dead maybe? help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwyzdreamin04

I'm not sure this is the right forum...but here i go...so..my brothers computer died a while ago. and so I volunteered to fix it. I bought a motherboard and I upgraded his processor since I bent the pins on his original processor. Well...I plugged it in and it proceeded to turn on but it didnt recognize the monitor. the amber light never even turned green on my monitor. So what could be the problem? RAM maybe? I was thinking maybe his ram was dead along with the motherboard(I replaced the motherboard though). Anyone have any ideas?

Once you have run all the troubleshooting recommendations in the motherboard manual, you then begin looking at the power supply, memory modules, the video graphics card, and the pci devices.
We like to reduce the computer setup to power supply, floppy drive with a W98 boot disk, one memory module, and a simple video graphics connection... no other devices connect. If no floppy drive, attempt a boot to an install CD.
Are you certain the memory is correct for that particular board?

I fixed that...I was putting the monitor in the wrong connector...but when the monitor came on, it was a blue screen and said, "A problem has been detected and windows hs shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Then it says, If this is the first time, check for viruses...blah blah blah. CAn't do that if I can't get it started. But then it gives technical info which says: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf96dd528, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Any ideas?

I also switched our hard drives, and in both of ours, the mouse wouldn't move(yes, it was plugged in), but it would load and it was really slow. Now that I put mine back in my computer, its fine. I also put my RAM in his thinking maybe it just needed more RAM to run since I put A better CPU in it. It sorta started but went to the blue screen saying that stuff up there. Ideas?

Are you using the right type of RAM, since I noticed your reusing the RAM that was in the old motherboard with the new one and taking ram out of your system and putting it in that system and how you said you switched cpu's, it is deff. the same socket or it would fit but are these the same type such as both single core since if you hada single core in then put a dual core in since some motherboards dont support dual core cpus or hyper threading, also you said this cpu that you switched was better if it is a very high clock speed your motherboard might not support it since motherboards only support a max amount of clock speed

GeekieNick101 said:
Are you using the right type of RAM, since I noticed your reusing the RAM that was in the old motherboard with the new one and taking ram out of your system and putting it in that system and how you said you switched cpu's, it is deff. the same socket or it would fit but are these the same type such as both single core since if you hada single core in then put a dual core in since some motherboards dont support dual core cpus or hyper threading, also you said this cpu that you switched was better if it is a very high clock speed your motherboard might not support it since motherboards only support a max amount of clock speed

As far as I know I'm using the right type of RAM..the CPU is said to be compatible with the motherboard and the motherboard is supposed to be a replacement for this type of computer so the RAM should be compatible and it fits. so then what?

alwyzdreamin04 said:
As far as I know I'm using the right type of RAM..the CPU is said to be compatible with the motherboard and the motherboard is supposed to be a replacement for this type of computer so the RAM should be compatible and it fits. so then what?

Not necessarily, not all RAM is compatible with all motherboards. Check the manual for RAM compatibility with the motherboard. Also, it sounds like you're swapping parts like crazy. You've got to be somewhat careful doing this. In addition, google the stop codes it gives you...that can be a tremendous help in troubleshooting. Are there any PC specs you can give us as a rough outline of what you are running?

T_C_ said:
Not necessarily, not all RAM is compatible with all motherboards. Check the manual for RAM compatibility with the motherboard. Also, it sounds like you're swapping parts like crazy. You've got to be somewhat careful doing this. In addition, google the stop codes it gives you...that can be a tremendous help in troubleshooting. Are there any PC specs you can give us as a rough outline of what you are running?

I know not all ram is compatible but its sdram, ddr, dimm so I mean...its not like its simm, and totally outdated. can it be incompatible even if it fits and goes in like normal? I googled the stop codes and found something called barts pe or something. I'm gonna try that.

his computer is a dell 2400, after i put in the processor(went from 2.4ghz celeron to 2.6 ghz pentium), it started showing as a dell 3000. its got 256 ram.

and i know what you mean about switching parts out. my computer is now screwed up because i had the bright idea to put his hard drive in the computer with mine also there because i was going to run chkdsk and stuff on it and try to fix whatever was wrong. yeah my computer will barely start up now..but its not a big deal. im going to be building a new one soon.

Wow you have totally mix matched parts. The HDD may play a big role becaus thats where you Windows is stored. You mobo is also linked with that copy of Windows. Since the HDD and mobo are of different copies of Windows, this may be causing things not to load.

alwyzdreamin04 said:
I know not all ram is compatible but its sdram, ddr, dimm so I mean...its not like its simm, and totally outdated. can it be incompatible even if it fits and goes in like normal? I googled the stop codes and found something called barts pe or something. I'm gonna try that.

his computer is a dell 2400, after i put in the processor(went from 2.4ghz celeron to 2.6 ghz pentium), it started showing as a dell 3000. its got 256 ram.

I mean by manufacturer. The least you can do is check the manual. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!:knock:

T_C_ said:
I mean by manufacturer. The least you can do is check the manual. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!:knock:

the manual wasnt sent to me...thats the first place i would have looked if it had. i'm not a total *****. :) and if i could locate it on the manufacturuer website i would...but i dont know the exact name of it.

alwyzdreamin04 said:
the manual wasnt sent to me...thats the first place i would have looked if it had. i'm not a total *****. :) and if i could locate it on the manufacturuer website i would...but i dont know the exact name of it.

Are they all Dell? Call customer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back