Ram doesn`t work in slot3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

So for some reason my 1gbx2 stopped working correctly, i test each stick individually, stick 1 would work in all slots but 3, stick two would work in all slots but 3. I previously had both sticks in dual channel=slot 1 and 3, I was curious to know if it was the mobo or the ram, so I ran the sticks indivisually in 1 and 4, 1 and 2, and ram posted, everything booted up( the numbers are dimm slots.) My 2x1gb G skill would not run in dual channel, but my old 2x512 off brand would run and post with prime95, very confused at this point. I thought maybe it was the 3rd slot and I would have to rma the mobo. I basically switched up every combination at this point, running my 2x512 and my 2x1gb ram in all slots with combinations of both. I'm currently running 3 Gbs ddr2 5-5-5-15 atm, with both type of ram. Has anyone heard of something happening like this.

Pc is running fine now with 1x2gb and 512x1 gb in dual channel. This is scaring me. Hope someone can help with issue or maybe its a ram issue, When I recently booted up windows xp told me some data might not exist anymore. pfft, wtf, any suggestions>?

perhaps heat damage may have occurred, when head breaking stuff like this happens, i recommend getting a new mobo.

You were talking about overclocking in the other forum, is this the same computer?

If you did, did you mess around with the voltages?

If you did, it is quite possible that the motherboard is damaged, because from what you're saying, the RAM slot is damaged. You might be able to RMA the board, if you do, try not to mention any overclocking.
Technician: Did you overclock?
you: Hey, thats a pretty bird!!

:D:D:D

possible wrong slots*

In my mobo* slots 1 & 2 are the 1st & 3rd slot ..... might want to check your manual and make sure your dual-channel/ mode is in the right slots. maybe?

sounds like a bad memory slot. Another reason I don't recommend OC'ing.....
or lack of surge protectors....

I wouldn't blanket reject the whole idea of OCing. People do run into problems once in awhile with OCing, but its not as common as you think, and usually you can still RMA. Such as in this case...

The whole thing was weird to me, slot 3 still works, just only in certain combinations, and yes I was playing around with overclocking, but putting 2.1 volts on a 250 dollar mobo shouldnt hurt it, where's my damn quality check

CMH said:
I wouldn't blanket reject the whole idea of OCing. People do run into problems once in awhile with OCing, but its not as common as you think, and usually you can still RMA. Such as in this case...
I've learned the hard way with about 6 pairs of burnt RAM and a burnt CPU.
never again. This soldier don't make all that much $

Lawl, I'm still happily OCing, and this comp wasn't built with OC in mind.

My next one is, the one I'll be going home to tonight to set up :D. I'm damn excited with that thought :D.

Tedster said:
I've learned the hard way with about 6 pairs of burnt RAM and a burnt CPU.
never again. This soldier don't make all that much $

You must know alot about OC'ing and computer engineering! 6 pairs?

I've done my share.... but I'm not rich and can't afford it. In general, OC'ing wears out components faster as they are not designed to run at those speeds - even with cooling.

OC'ing is like putting nitrous in cars.... sure it will run fast for awhile .... until you blow the heads.

This is truly an Anti-Overclocking forum isn't it!?

Makers of ram, cpu's etc make the them to be able to handle more than default. This is so there are no problems with stability and longevity.

The thing is that some cpu's & RAM have more headroom than others. The trick is to utilize this headroom while not encroaching on the threshold. It is only when the OVeerclock is at the extreme of the CPU's or RAMs max that danger ensues.

It is only when you reach that threshold/limit that the lifespan of the CPU or RAM is in jeapordy. But of course more heat means wear and tear even if the CPU is stable.

If you are that in to playing it safe Tedster I suppose you should be underclocking your equipment. Then you can lower your voltage's and thus increase the lifespan of your equipment.

Or you can ask for a raise and live a little.

IMO

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back