Ram\Hard Drive help

By Midgetmax
Aug 24, 2005
  1. alright, i have an HP i am upgrading the ram and hard drive. I have found the ram here,, and the hard drive here,, alright, my first question is, will the ram work with my 512 mb stick already in here, so i can have 1.5 gb of ram?? im not sure what the brand of ram it is but my mobo board specs are here,
    and also one more thing, how do install anther hdd, like do i have to have an XP disk cuz that will be a problem......
  2. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

The ram and drive look fine, I'm only concerned if you have a 200MHz fsb cpu and the ram you have picked out is only 166MHz fsb as it's pc2700. If your processor runs at a 166 fsb then ok, no prob. If it runs at 200, then you'll have to get pc3200 rather than pc2700.
    The drive seems like it'll do nicely, and I recommend you add it to the second ide channel as a master.
    It should have no bearing on your current xp install, just don't format the wrong drive!
  3. Midgetmax

Midgetmax TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

ok well thats kinda what i wanted to hear accept for the ram part, but my computer specs says it only supports PC2100\2700?!?! so i dont think i can get a 3200 or can i?
  4. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

You can always run faster spec ram. Always, at least if it's the same type; ddr, ddr2, etc.
    The beauty of faster spec ram in a slower fsb system is you can then usualy reduce memory timings to reduce latency and increase bandwidth, but this is another subject. I prefer reduced latency over a faster fsb any day.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.