RAM having an affect on games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, first of all are Infineon and Kingston RAM cards compatible? I have a 2.6GHz Celeron processor with 512mb of RAM, and have an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI graphics card. I was wondering if i added another 512mb ram card, if that would help make the gameplay in my games smoother, for games like Doom 3, Halo-when theres lots of enemies, and Star Wars:Knights of the old Republic? Mainly star wars because before and after i got my new graphics card, the gameplay didn't change one bit. Any info is much appreciated, i've tried searching online but ive had no luck, plz help me :)

On games with lots of textures and or large maps ,more ram does make for smoother gameplay. I am not a fan of mixing brands of ram. do you have just one stick of 512 now or are you runing 2 256mb sticks? if you are running just one 512mb ram module now then you are not taking advantage of your motherboard dual channel capabilities. and if you add another 512 module it should be the same brand size adn speed as your current module for best dual channel performance.

And if yuo want even better performance ditch that celeron, they are very poor choices for gaming.

Also, is there a certain point when the amount of RAM you have stops making a real difference in gameplay?
Like say having 4 gigs.

That depends on the specific game and your computing habits. Naturally, if a program has no more data to put in memory and the OS has nothing more to cache, then any more RAM would be useless.

I'd say you can't fill 4GB with a game for sure. That is unless you actually install the game on a RAM drive :D And if you are using a RAM drive - one can never have enough drive space.

I seriously doubt that anyting beyond 2GB does anything for available games or any games released within the next few years.

well my celeron does pretty good with almost all my games....i have just 1 512mb card in there right now with the extra slot, i know u dont like having different brands, but im trying to save some money, thats why i ask if having a kingston would make much difference.

also is there a way i can scan my cpu or something to see all the info for my ram card i have now? because all i know is that its an Infineon. I went to crucial.com to see which would be best to use for my cpu, but i didnt understand anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back