RAM installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm facing a bizarre problem. I installed a new 512 Kingston DDR ram into a computer- everything says it should be right right type. Matchd the old 128 to a T in specs except for the speed, of course. When I plug everything back in, the monitor won't recognize that the computer is turned on and stays in inactive mode. It does recognize that it is plugged into the cpu though.

Any advice????

Well the thing is

Everything is the same, minus the 128/512 difference. So, out of curiousity I reverted back to the 128 and still no luck- blank screen. I know everything is working (minus monitor) as I hear windows start up and hear the new mail notification.

Any other suggestions?

Check that you`ve not inadvertantly disturbed the graphics card, when you replaced the ram. In fact, check that everything is properly connected and seated properly.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but, if your mobo has onboard graphics and you have a separate graphics card, make sure you`ve connected the monitor to the correct graphics card. I`m sure you`ve already checked this, but stranger things have happened.

Regards Howard :)

Good point Howard. It's always a good idea to double and triple check your connections any time you are changing things inside the case. Things can easly become loose by an inadvertant bump.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks Howard and poertner- I double checked everything and nothing worked. Fortunately I have some guys on base that have some time tomorrow to figure out whats going on with it.

hokie2004 said:
Thanks Howard and poertner- I double checked everything and nothing worked. Fortunately I have some guys on base that have some time tomorrow to figure out whats going on with it.

When you get to the bottom of the problem, please will you let us know what it was?

Regards Howard :)

You know I had something very similar happen one time. After much frustration I eventually realized I forgot to plug the monitor back into the vid card instead of the mobo's. It was one of those mistakes that was so simple it was overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back