RAM Issues w/ Inspiron 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all.

Basically, I bought a 512MB stick of PC2100 RAM for my Inspiron 1100. It had a stick of 128 in one of the slots, but the second slot was empty. I put the 512 into Slot A and the 128 into Slot B. It worked for about 2 weeks no problem, then the problems began. One night I had closed the lid, by default the computer goes to standby. When I re-opened the lid, nothing happened. Lights were on, but the screen didn't turn on. I pressed the Caps Lock key, and the light didn't turn on. So I simply held the power button till it shut off. I restarted the computer and the BIOS gave me a "System memory configuration has changed; press F1 to continue, press F2 to run utility." I pressed F2 and the BIOS told me only 128MB was installed... At this point I turned it off and opened the RAM cover. I removed the 128 module and left the 512 in it. I turned the computer on, and the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights remained lit. Then it automatically turned off. At that point I gave up and went to bed...

Next morning, I put everything back together, with the 512 in Slot A and the 128 in Slot B. Powered on, and it worked! Somehow. So I went on my merry way. Then today (about a week later), I left the laptop running on my desk as I went downstairs to get a bite to eat. It was on screensaver when I left. When I came back it was at the "System memory configuration has changed" message again. But this time the screen was severely distorted and I had a really hard time reading it. I ran the utility again, and this time... It said it had 520MB RAM installed. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I know computers pretty well, and I KNEW that 520MB of RAM is not good. I simply powered off the computer and got on here to ask what's causing it.

The RAM is new and is under warranty, so I can either replace it or simply return it and get my money back. Really it depends on whether the problem is RAM related or if it has to do with the RAM slot on the computer itself. Lemme know your thoughts, thanks in advance.

-Adam

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You should never mix ram sizes/speeds/makes etc. Check with your computer manufacturers website for compatible ram.

Run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org. Test each stick individually, and then together.

Try running your computer with just the original stick of ram, in it`s original dimm slot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back