RAM issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

I currently have 2 256 Modules of Kingston Value ram that I was using temporarily till I had money to buy some nice stuff, theyre both DDR 400 and I have them in slots 1 and 2 [I had some type of startup diagnostic that didnt like it being in 1 and 3, I was going to buy the new ram but my friend just gave me a 512 module, but no matter where I put it I get the error [beep]. I would just read the manual of my motherboard [DFI LanParty UT nf4 Sli-D] but its currently missing haha.

The new module is PC2100, so im thinking its the difference between the speeds, but I don't think ive ever heard someone have problems with that.

I didn't really mess around with the computer since I don't have documentation in front of me about it, but I did take out the batter, unplug the computer and clear the CMOS, but still no luck.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, if I can get this to work I'll hold out on the ram and upgrade my video card [currently a Biostar 6200 LE..god I hate it, but it plays WoW, WC3, and halo/fear somewhat haha]

Thanks,
Aj

its more than likely the frequency difference thats causing the problem, i've had problems with that in the past

the module could also be bad, but i'm betting its the frequency.

why the hell didn't you get a ddr2 capable mobo anyway?

ha well at the time i was buying all of my stuffeverywhere i read said that the difference between DDR2 and DDR was minimal, so I just went with this.

But, I swapped out one of the 256 modules with the 512, and it runs fine now. So its probably my motherboard lol

Motherboards can be very touchy with memory, although I would never suggest that you mix speeds.

Is there any problems i should run into by mixing these? If its just speed then I don't really care, it plays all of my games with the current setup and I have no problems, there just holding me over till I can get some cash :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back