RAM Memeory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultiweap

Hi everyone,

I don't know how you will take that question as noob or not but this is annoying me so much. I just put Vista on my PC and now with some tweaking Vista seems to be very fluid and rapid but in the task manager I can see that the RAM Usage is about 85% and sometimes even more than 90% and I was wondering to know if this could affect my RAM after some time to be used so much and damage it.? And if this would reduce its lifetime too?

Thanks in advance for any help
amagnien

Hi amagnien,

This may or may not affect your RAM. If you have a good brand of RAM it is less likely this is going to do anything to it. If you have a cheap brand RAM it may take it's toll on your RAM.

What kind of RAM, and how much do you have installed? It's best to have at least 2GB of RAM installed on a system running VISTA.

If you have a bunch of extra programs (not needed) running you should try to minimize them as much as possible to free up some more RAM.

One last thing. Is your RAM getting hot? If so, this could be doing damage to you RAM.

Hope everything works out.

CJ

Hi,

Thanks for the replying

I don't really know if is hot or not and I don't know the brand. I'm using 1GB of RAM.

I bought the PC like it is and haven't open it till now due it is still on warranty and I don't want to open it until the warranty finish.

What do you recommend me to do?

I just use Tune Up Process Manager and when I check about memory usage (MB) it show me only around 475 to 525MB and on Task Manager it show me that i'm using much more and that my Physical memory is at 75% to 80% with nearly 800MB used.

What is the real RAM usage? And is that normal?

I attached a screenshot of it below

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is Vista's "superfetch" in action. It loads programs based on what it thinks your going to need. Accordingly, it's always going to be using much more memory percentage than you're accustomed to with XP. BTW, you need to consider 2GB as minimum optimum RAM with Vista.

Also, a new PC probably has too many processes loading on startup. There's always a bunch of BS, "bloatware", and "trialware" preloaded that they're trying to get you buy.

This is Vista's "superfetch" in action. It loads programs based on what it thinks your going to need. Accordingly, it's always going to be using much more memory percentage than you're accustomed to with XP. BTW, you need to consider 2GB as minimum optimum RAM with Vista.

Also, a new PC probably has too many processes loading on startup. There's always a bunch of BS, "bloatware", and "trialware" preloaded that they're trying to get you buy.

Thanks

About the PC I bought it but I choose to install Windows myself that put the cost a little cheaper and so there is not trialware on it but yes I think I will put it when I will buy it.

Where can I get good brand RAM for a good price on the net selling to Mauritius?

RAM is solid-state and volatile. Regardless of whether you are using 1MB of ram or all of it will make little difference as to the longevity of the hardware itself. It is always in a state of being charged and discharged while on. You can think of it, essentially, as millions of tiny capacitors in a constant state of flux.

If you discover in the course of using RAM that it has gone defective, it usually just means you've uncovered an underlying hardware defect. RAM primarily goes bad due to static discharge, overvolting, overclocking, excessive heat or a manufacturing defect - not from ordinary use.

So the short answer is no, your RAM constantly being at 85%+ should have absolutely no impact on how long it lasts.

RAM is solid-state and volatile. Regardless of whether you are using 1MB of ram or all of it will make little difference as to the longevity of the hardware itself. It is always in a state of being charged and discharged while on. You can think of it, essentially, as millions of tiny capacitors in a constant state of flux.

If you discover in the course of using RAM that it has gone defective, it usually just means you've uncovered an underlying hardware defect. RAM primarily goes bad due to static discharge, overvolting, overclocking, excessive heat or a manufacturing defect - not from ordinary use.

So the short answer is no, your RAM constantly being at 85%+ should have absolutely no impact on how long it lasts.

Ok Thanks a lot

No I understand a little more about it...

But can somebody ask me where on the net can I buy RAM for a good price and that sell to Mauritius?

I checked 3 large suppliers in the USA (Newegg, Zip Zoom Fly, and Tiger Direct), and of these only Tiger Direct seems to accommodate international orders.
these dealers are well thought of here in the US. Their prices are competitive with market and each other. More info here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/international.asp

This is by no means the last word on the subject. So if anyone has more or better info don't be shy, by all means ring in.

You can also "dry shop" right here at Techspot, (Pricewatch), and read many reviews at; http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?page=1

Long distance ordering is bound to be time consuming and expensive, a return and reship even more so. Take your time, investigate, and be certain that you're ordering the right parts, compatible with your machine, and the RAM already installed.

Do someone know what program should I use to view what is the temperature of all the peripherals in my PC?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back