Ram memtest

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think my ram is ****ed.

my comp randomly restarts, programs crash and the screen blacks out randomly.

i ran memtest from a linux cd (im running xp jst now) and it came up with 100s of errors/failures.

i took 1 bit of ram out, booted up, still the problem. (random reboots - didnt run memtest again)

tryed the other peice of ram in the other space and still the problem.

what duz this mean? are both my peices of ram dead?

or could this be a motherboard problem

any suggestions? cheers

should i run memtest on each bit of ram individually? i dont really understand memtest, the jargon

Do you overclock? Yes, it could be both stick of your RAM dead. It can also be simply too high speed settings for the memory in BIOS or a bad mobo or CPU.

Memtest is pretty simple. It reads and writes data patterns to and from memory and seeing if the data matches. If there are errors, then there's a problem with your RAM.

If all the errors are from tests using the CPU cache, then you most likely have a CPU problem.

What make and type of memory is it?

If it's no-name generic memory it could be made with sub-standard chips.

The only way to find out for sure is to test it in a PC that is working, or take it to a PC repair shop.

dont know the make of ram but maybe there has been sum booze splashed on it. how much is a gig of ram? i dont overclock.

are there any settings that would make it less likley to crash?

would it be anymore stable in linux? if it was the ram thats dead

if i wiped the ram clean and let it dry would has help?

Some Linux kernels have a feature that lets you specify memory ranges that shouldn't be used. This way you can work around the broken bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back