RAM not going its full speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom123

Hello

I just got 1 gb of ram new and when i put it in, it only goes 512mb.
Im quite sure that the slots can hold 1gb but not 100% sure.The ram is 2700 and ddr which is the ram my pc uses. Please help.

Are they seated properly? One of the sticks might be loose and thus not getting detected.

If they are, what's your exact motherboard, RAM and OS?

It would help if you listed your hardware. particularly Your MOBO. alot of older mobo's only support up to 512mb of ram in one slot. if you know the make and model of your mobo go to the manufactuer's site and to the support section they should have the info as to how much ram overall and how much per slot your board supports.

Does the RAM detect right in the BIOS? That is, when you first turn your PC on, does it show the right amount? Because sometimes it is just Windows that's dumb and doesn't show your RAM properly.

according to your mobo's specs it should support that ram. so that would leave either you have a bad stick of ram OR the mobo is particular about the placemetn of the ram. you could try placing the ram in different slots.

This is out of the manual."You may only use up to two double-sided, three single-sided memory modules or one double-sided with two single-sided memory modules for DDR 333".

ive heard that if you have different sticks of ram in your machine, ie. a 512 and a 1gb
it will only read your lowest amount of RAM.,

so your gunna have to get 2 of the same kinda sticks
,,,,,(i think)

meNOname, I think you may be thinking of RAM "speeds" versus RAM "size". Where if you put, say, a PC2700 and a PC2100 together, it will run at the lower speed of the two, if it even runs at all.

But maybe this changed with Dual Channel.

Vigilante said:
meNOname, I think you may be thinking of RAM "speeds" versus RAM "size". Where if you put, say, a PC2700 and a PC2100 together, it will run at the lower speed of the two, if it even runs at all.

But maybe this changed with Dual Channel.

Both of them are at pc 2700 so thats not it.

does it have anything to do with the memory size? like if you have a 256 and a 512 stick, the computer will only use the lowest stick?

someone clear me up

No I don't think that's right. Almost every PC I look at has multiple sticks of RAM at different sizes. But if they are different speeds, it uses the lowest speed.

Dom- you may want to just replace the stick, get it over with. Otherwise you may have to test the stick in a different PC if possible. Reset the BIOS. But other then that, try getting a different stick.

does it have anything to do with the memory size? like if you have a 256 and a 512 stick, the computer will only use the lowest stick?

what you are referring to has to do with memory SPEED not size. for instance, if your computer supports PC2700 and PC3200 and you put one stick of each on it. BOTH sticks will only run at the speed of the slowest stick, ie;PC2700.

..i dunno really, i think its all cleared up now, ive been confused about it for some time
took me bout a week to make sure i ordered the right RAM for my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back