Ram not working after reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkashes_3

like title says i reformated my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp home,
now only one of my sticks of ram is recognized can any one help with this issue pls :(

Remove and reseat each module, slowly and carefully, while wearing rubber gloves or plastic bags.
Try each memory module alone. Try switching slots, and try again.
Then download and run the free MemTest86 for four hours or 7 passes, which ever takes longer.
There is no reason why a reformat would normally cause this problem, but if it pushed part of the test into the upper ranges, it could.

what do you mean by reset module, i have tried each stick by them selves they both register just not when i put them both in ?

Although I don't know why it would affect the ram, did you happen to install your motherboard drivers after reinstalling XP? Also what size are the ram modules and are yo running SP2?

raybay said:
Remove and reseat each module, slowly and carefully, while wearing rubber gloves or plastic bags.

I've been installing ram for at least 10 years and have never worn rubber gloves, plastic bags, or anything covering my hands and/or my fingers and have never heard of such a thing. I do, however, make sure I am grounded.

raybay said:
while wearing rubber gloves or plastic bags.

rickk1 said:
I do, however, make sure I am grounded.

i've been putting things in my pc for about 3 years now and have only just bought an esd wristband. with ram i always made sure that i held them on the edges that the clips hold on to. i'd recommend buying an esd wristband because it will make your life easier and anything plastic, e.g. a plastic bag could hold static which will break your components. not sure if rubber conducts static electricity or not though ;)

you could have a bad slot, a bad stick that doesn't crop up unless it is paired.... replace both sticks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back