RAM or/and MOBO problem!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comp is a KTAPRO System board (VIA VT8363A (KT133A) Chipset) with an AMD 1.2 Ghz Processor. Originally my comp came with two 128MB sticks of RAM. Three years ago I purchased two sticks of double sided-non ecc pc133, 256 MB SDRAM, just as the manual instructed would be compatible with my computer. At first, everything was okay. I even kept one of my 128mb sticks in for a total of 768 MB. After about a year, my computer would just crashg unexpectadly. I took out the 128MB chip since 512MB was just fine anyways. Last year I upgraded my video card and things went seemingly well. After a couple of weeks however I started to have crashes again, so I moved the chips around. Things have been great since, until a few days ago. I tried to move the chips around again, but I couldn't even get the computer to start. I took out one of the sticks and set my BIOS to the most stable settings as the manual said, and then put the other stick in again. I even tried combinations using my old 128MB sticks. The computer will start up, but often crash during the Power On Self Test. If it passes that, it will crash before entering windows. I thought it may have been the sticks, so I put them in one by one to see what would happen.

When alone in slot 1 and 3, all the sticks (256's & 128's) work fine.
Any stick I put in slot 2, will end up having a long beep instead of starting the computer.
when i mix slot 1&2 or 3&2, the comp will start but the mem in slot 2 will not be read
when i mix slot 1&3 the computer crashes no matter what combination. Sometimes when I hit the reset button it won't even start with a beep, which means a poorly seated RAM, but I put it in just fine, and when I put it in by itself the problem goes away.
Currently, I am only using one 256mb stick in order to type this message. I am pretty sure the sticks are good because I also tried them in my sisters comp and they work well.

I want to be able to use at least two sticks of RAM at the same time. What is the problem? What can I do to fix the problem?, how can I prevent something like this from happening in the future (say I get another comp)?

Please help, I hope I was thourough enough...
-Vanessa

Well that still doesn't explain why my computer crashes when I have any combination of memory sticks in the 1st and 3rd slots. I want to be able to use at least two memory cards at the same time. Also, I want to know what happened? Why did it become defective? How do I prevent something like this from happening in a future computer? Is there any way of fixing it?

the board is a few years old. hardware failure does happen,

if 1 slot is defective what is to say the others are not going in the process of dying

Okay, well the comp is only about 5 years old, the 2nd slot stopped working after 3 years. These are not reasonable times i think. If it is the motherboard crapping out can anyone suggest one that lasts longer. Personally I am in the process of buying a new one but I wanted to give this one to my 9 year old neice to use for school and her little games (She loves the Sims). This comp works fine for that stuff but not when it's crashing for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back