RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplsivchocolate

I recieved an old computer from a friend and it needed some RAM so i bought some that fitted, took the old RAM out and put the new one in, but now when i press the on button, the computer beeps a sort of alarm and doesn't do anything. N e know what I've done wrong?

Sounds like the ram you are trying to put in there is not compatible. Even if it "fits" in the ram slots, there are MANY different types of ram. Motherboards are very picky about what types they can and can not work with.

Can you tell us the make/model of the board you are trying to stick the ram into, as well as the speed of the ram you are trying to stick in?

thats the trouble cos i dont know the motherboard, there was a stick of RAM in it, and i took it to pc world and they sold me this RAM that they said would be compatible. The RAM I bought was

SDRAM 133mhz DIMM 168 pins

256MB PC 133

Because the PC was given to me, there are no instructions or information booklets and the only thing that I know about the PC is that it is an "I Patriot."

Does any of this help?

Try running THIS on your computer to see if it can ID your motherboard.

If it doesn't work, HERE is another program to try.

These programs probe your computer and list what you have. Sometimes they are not so good at older boards, but let's cross our fingers! :D

If you can, give us more info on your ram as well. Any serial numbers on those sticks you can post?

i cant run the files because i cant switch the computer on, it just makes the alarm sound, there is some info on the RAM as follows...

its a PNY stick, and has the letters 6432whsem8g09

do u think it could be a possibility that i have knocked something inside the pc whilst inserting the RAM

When you stick the new ram in, you are getting beeps, that is actually a good sign in a sense. It means your motherboard is probably fine. The beeps are telling you that the ram is failing the motherboards test. (I am pretty sure this is what your beeps are telling you, but to confirm, I'd need to know what bios your system is, and a description of the beeps - i.e., short beeps, long beeps and how many).

You don't have the old ram that worked anymore? If you have it, use it to boot your system up and download those programs I linked you to. We need to know more about your motherboard before we can tell you if this ram is compatible.

Another possibility: is the computer a name brand? Like a dell or gateway or something? If so, look for a model number somewhere on the case?

(for others who want to help, here is a link to the ram he is trying to stick in there: http://www.pny.com/oem/results1.asp?p=6432whsem8g09). I am off to bed now. Zzzzzzz.

all motherboards have identifying marks on them. Usually in white small print along 1 edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back