RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom123

I have 256 ram and i recently brought 1gb which should work with my computer. (i hope)

When i have both the 256 and the 1gb of ram in the computer at the same time it doesnt start up. There is no beeps, the monitor light flashes but thats it.

When i take the 256 out and put the gb in by itself the computer beeps 4 times (i have phoenix bios) and doesnt start up.

Any ideas?

Can you describe the beeps a little more? Take a look at this post info here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17013.html

But usually beeps are pointing to ram incompatibility issues.

Can you post your motherboard make/model as well as the specs on those two sticks of ram? I.e., what speed is each stick rated at? Pc3200?

To be a little more specific, your manual says, and I quote:

"DDR 266 or DDR 333 unbuffered DIMM modules
184-Pin; 2.5V; 64 Bit; no ECC

Size: 32Mb to 3Gb 266 DDR-SDRAM
32Mb to 2 Gb 333 DDR-SDRAM"

:( Another site said its ok to put pc 3200 in a pc 2700 mobo, is there no way i can get 1gb on the mobo?

Some motherboards are better at these things than others. It is true that if you stick pc3200 ram in some pc2700 motherboards, they can automatically underclock the ram to 2700 for you.

But it sounds to me like your motherboard just isn't in the mood.

See if anyone else has any ideas, but it sounds to me like if you want to have 1Gb of ram you are going to have to buy some pc2700.

As a last resort, you can try updating your BIOS if you haven't already, then sticking in that 3200 ram (alone, without the 2700 stick).

You never know, it might work.

Looks good to me! And that store will let you send it back within a week if it doesn't work, so you have a back up plan as well. He has your particular chipset listed there as one of the compatible chipsets so..... I'd say you are good to go.

When you get it, I wouldn't use that 256mb stick you have at the same time at first. Run JUST the 1GB to see if you can get your board to run with it. If it is fine, then you can pop your 256 back in and see if the two sticks of ram like each other. They should be fine, as they are the same speeds, but I've had glitches with different sized ram before as well.

Good luck!

Thx thats who i got my other ram off :cool:

Thx for all ur help ill get my pc sorted out soon enough :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back