RAM problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought another gig of ram online, (104$) which i thought was pretty decent so when i plug in the new RAM and turn on my comp, the fan starts but nothing shows up on the screen, i've waited for a few mins but not even the boot screen appears or the first screen that tells all in info, (not sure what its called) . Is there something wrong with the RAM? the installation?
i'm not a techy kinda person, is there a simple solution to the problem? i also tried memtest 86, but since i cant even get past the boot screen it doesnt run, i surfed around a few other threads in here and looked in the RAM/ Tweaking section in the guides forum but they dont offer much info besides updating and checking the DMA box, both of which are for Win2000 and ME,

specs: windows XP
RAM bought:
(OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Premier Series 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (OCZ4001024PDC-K)

i also ran this program, which supposedly tells me the specs about my RAM and upgrades i can do, http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/, the info it gave me:

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Number of Banks: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
# CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ Model 15, Stepping 2
# CPU Speed: 1989 MHz
it also says my ram is backwards compatible ,
the current ram i have installed is a pair of 512 PC3200 DDR

mobo: MSI RS482M2
i'm sure its a simple problem but help would b appreciated, thanks

You should install ram modules by pairs in your system. Remove the old one, leave the new ones by themselves (read your manual to see in which slots to install them for better performance) & see if it can POST properly like that.

i installed the RAM in pairs, i put the new ram into the slots of my pre-existing ones and checked, my comp still doesnt boot any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back