Ram Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

agour

Hey,
I have been having problems with my computer, BSOD'ing on both vista and 7. I narrowed it down to the RAM, which when tested with MemTest, failed.

Im using 3x1gig sticks (OCuk unbranded stuff), on a asus P5QL/EPU board. The ram is pretty old though now (2 years), and the mobo is 2months old.

It appears that none of the ram will work in the furthest left slot, and 2/3 sticks will work flawlessly in the rest of the slots (though 1 stick seems to be completely dead).
Now, I though the first ram slot might be broke, so I checked it with some geil blackdragon ram, and ran 4 passes on memtest, which all came out negative for errors.

Any ideas why the ram would be playing up just one of the slots on the mobo? Or should I just give up and replace it?

Thanks

Motherboard has likely gone bad in that one slot... use a strong light and a magnifying class as you search for bent or damaged spots or plastic clips out of position. Motherboards do not fail often where memory is concerned, but there are a lot of people who damage the slot while installing or removing modules.

Motherboard has likely gone bad in that one slot... use a strong light and a magnifying class as you search for bent or damaged spots or plastic clips out of position. Motherboards do not fail often where memory is concerned, but there are a lot of people who damage the slot while installing or removing modules.

Ok, Ill have a look later.
Why would it continue to work with different ram though? I would have thought it was unlikely that the one time I installed the different stuff (compared to installing the 'broken' ram like 6+ times), that it managed to make the pins line up or whatever :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back