RAM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya folks, 1st post.

I've read Tedster's excellent post, which to be honest most of went over my head but i'm sure i've broke a few of his rules, different speed/manufacturer of RAM. I'd love to RTFM, but the computer was built by a friend of a friend (not a con man).

I checked with crucial to see what my motherboard could take, ordered compatible RAM and installed it taking as much care as possible. I've now downloaded and used SIW, but to be honest once again i'm lost.

I purchased 1Gb PC3200 DDR to go with my 512Mb PC 2700 as I was told it wouldn't be a problem. But when I fitted it, it failed to register, and when I removed the original memory to allow the new memory to run on it's own the computer failed to boot. It had 1 long beep then a pause then the pattern continued. I took the memory and tried it at a friends, it worked but after his system booted up it became unstable and became prone to random reboots and freezes.

I'm not sure what information I'd need to post for someone to be able to help me but i've decided to post screenshots of what SIW produced.

Info for motherboard (Jetway 865GDMP):

Info for Memory:

If I can post anything else to help just let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

As you are aware, it`s not a good idea to mix brands/speed/sizes of ram etc.

However, in your case, it seems your new ram may be faulty. I suggest you RMA it.

I take it your computer works fine with your old stick of ram?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

As you are aware, it`s not a good idea to mix brands/speed/sizes of ram etc.

However, in your case, it seems your new ram may be faulty. I suggest you RMA it.

I take it your computer works fine with your old stick of ram?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yeah, no problems with my comp when I have my old memory in. To be honest I think may motherboard my not be compatible with PC3200 as it doesn't register at all but does in my friends, but then again it is causing his system to crash. Everyone i've asked seems to think it should work so it could be faulty RAM. Should I request a replacement of the same speed (PC2700) or just asked for a refund?

Cheers

If as seems to be the case, the new ram is faulty, it probably isn`t an issue with the ram speed being pc3200.

Your mobo is supposed to accept DDR 400(pc3200) ram.

You should definitely RMA the ram. It`s up to you whether you want to get pc3200 or pc2700 ram. Just bear in mind, it isn`t a good idea to mix and match ram. So, unless you get exactly the same as your current ram, they might not play well together.

Regards Howard :)

Just to be sure I suggest you do a ram test using the following:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Of course you would do this on your friend's machine since you cant even boot.

This will give you the upperhand if you RMA and the store gives you trouble.

Also ensure the ram is COMPATIBLE with your motherboard. Not all brands work with all motherboards. Read the manual.

Tedster said:
Also ensure the ram is COMPATIBLE with your motherboard. Not all brands work with all motherboards. Read the manual.

I don't have the manual mate, and everywhere i've tried to download it has been a dead end. As for brands it doesn't seem to be marked. Think I might just have to return it and just take in my exsisting memory and ask for "another one of these".

I checked for myself and howards right. Your motherboard will accept DDR 400 pc3200 ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back