TechSpot

RAM problems

By monkeypit
Jan 4, 2007
  1. i have recently decided to increase the ram on my Acer Aspire sa60 from 256 to 512. i have the right kind of memory all of the specs are identical to eachother. I have tested both seperatly and they have both been successfull. But when i put the new ram in the 2nd dimm port my computer still only reads 256 ram. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks Tom.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

You may have to install just one 512MB stick

3. monkeypit

monkeypit TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have concidered this option but as there are 2 dimm ports surely they can work in tandom

4. Tmagic650

You have already proven the two identical 256MB sticks don't work haven't you? If these 256MB sticks are truly identical, what other option do you have other than trying a single 512MB stick?

5. monkeypit

I was wondering if the second dimm port was dissabled my something or if there is something i have to do on the bios

6. Tmagic650

On some systems, like yours, there may be memory settings disabled. More often than not, motherboards may be porposely "crippled" in proprietary systems. Have you looked up the upgrade options for your system on the Aspire sa60 website?

7. monkeypit

I cannot find anything. Mabe i am looking in thr wrong place for it on the site

8. Tmagic650

I've spent the last half hour looking too. From what I see your system uses standard DDR RAM and it's upgradable to 2GB. Other than settings in the bios, the single 512MB stick option is still valid

9. monkeypit

Thankyou for spending time looking. will have to go for the 512mb stick option by the looks of it

10. bwchato

bwchato TS Rookie

Memory in Windows

i don't have the same problem,but it does cover memory.I have an ASUS A8V MB.it has 4 memory slots.I have 4 gig of Kingston Value Ram but Windows only recognizes 3072mb of it.But if i use cpu-z,PC Wizard,and Everest it shows i have 4096mb.Any clues why windows won't recognize the 1 stick?

11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1. ASUS is VERY picky about brands of RAM it will accept. RTFM.
    2. Read the installing ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum

12. bwchato

bwchato TS Rookie

Memory

yes,i knew it was picky.i had an ASUS A7N8X and it was real picky,which is why i bought all four matching 1 GHz sticks.I'll take a look,thanks

13. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I had that exact same board before.
    I got rid of it as quickly as possible.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.