Ram problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
whenever i turn on my comp., a message flashes..." your computer has memory problems... please contact the computer manufacturer for details.."

i tried running the windows memory diagnoistic utiliy.. and at test#2, it says " hardware problems detected.. plz contact computer manufacturer for details.."

my config is:

e6400 @ 2.13 ghz
asus p5w dh deluxe mobo
ram : (1) transcend 1gb (800 mhz)
(2) kingston 512 mb (800 ghz)
(3) transcend 512 mb (800 mhz)
nvidia 7900 gs
seagate 250 gb (7200 rpm)

i tried running the comp with only one of the 3 sticks... and it works fine with each of them... it is just that when i use them all together , it gives error...

please help..

Did you try the 2 Kingston modules together? Did you just configure this 3-module setup? It is never wise to mix memory. You actually hurt performance rather than help it, when you do the mixing thing

Tmagic650 said:
Did you try the 2 Kingston modules together? Did you just configure this 3-module setup? It is never wise to mix memory. You actually hurt performance rather than help it, when you do the mixing thing

i am sorry..
actually my 1 gb stick is of transcend rather than kingston...
i have edited the post...

Tedster said:

Thanks a lot, "Tedster"

i had my both 512 mb rams in the two alternate orange slots.. and my 1gb ram in one of the black slots...

i ran memtest for about 2 hours (2 passes) and it showed me the following
errors:
1) pass 0: 7 errors at test no. 7
2) pass 1: 3 errors, one each at test no. 3 ,4 and 6.

i took out my 1 gb stick and ran memtest again with both the 512 mb sticks in and got the following report :
1) pass 0: 1 error at test#7
2) pass 1: 2 errors at test#5 and 4 errors at test#7

at last i took out all of my ram modules and then ran the memtest again with individual modules and the results were :

1) with only the kingston 512 ram (1 pass) : no error !
2) with only the transcend 512 mb stick (1 pass) : 1 error at test no. 7
3) with only the transcend 1 gb ram stick (1pass) : 10 errors at test no. 6

please help me.... how to interprete and use these results ?

i had overclocked my cpu in the past... but havn't overclocked my ram ever..

thanks in advance..

any errors with memtest are bad and indicate your ram is faulty.
Overclocking stresses your system and could stress your ram past the breaking point.

I suggest getting 2 modules of the same capacity and run them in dual channel mode as replacements. Be sure to re-read the guide carefully and RTFM.

Tedster said:
any errors with memtest are bad and indicate your ram is faulty.
Overclocking stresses your system and could stress your ram past the breaking point.

I suggest getting 2 modules of the same capacity and run them in dual channel mode as replacements. Be sure to re-read the guide carefully and RTFM.

but is this test so reliable.. that i need to change 2 of the 3 ram sticks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back