Ram Q's

By flavin
Dec 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello there im a total noob about comps. i play em constantly but not know how they do what they do. im lookin to build a new comp for gaming but im on a budget.

anyways i was wondering if u guys could tell me what makes good ram good.

and also if anybody has any suggestion for any quality ram. preferably under 100 for 1 gb worth
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

3. flavin

flavin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 110

damn i was hopin for a 1gb sticks so i never had to get rid of anything if i ever upgraded to 4gb's. ill look around for more corsair xms
  4. DonNagual

One thing you want to keep in mind, is dual channel mode. If your motherboard supports it, it is a considerable increase in ram performance.

With only one stick of ram, your limited to single channel mode. Two sticks in dual channel is an extra 15% or so of performance gains.

Food for thought.
  5. flavin

lol see now that is the kind of info i really could use

alright i will either go with ur suggestion or 2x 1gb sticks if i can get my mom to give me a little christmas help

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486

ummm if this ram i linked to is bad or overpriced please let me no

thanks donnagual
  6. DonNagual

That ram is excellent ram. You'll have no problems with it at all.

One thing to confirm, is whether it is the right ram for your particular motherboard. What is your motherboard make/model?
  7. DonNagual

8. flavin

yea i so saw that today while i was lookin at stuff.

the board i plan to buy is a socket 939 board since ill be using a amd 64. i dont have a idea for a mobo since newegg.com removed the board i had wanted. (chaintech vnf4 ultra) but i think i can still find it cheap somewhere.

but the ram would be 184 pin ddr
  9. DonNagual

10. flavin

im preety sure that is a different board. the one i had been looking at had a 2000 FSB whatever that. could somebody tell me what that is and does?
  11. DonNagual

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.