RAM question - building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

Hey everyone,

I was just getting ready to build a PC and I want to run Windows Vista 64 -bit on it. I had a couple of questions about RAM though. I want 2GB of RAM and I was wondering if anyone could help me pick. I know how important RAM is but I don't know anything about manufacturers or if that even matters. So far I have been looking between the Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 and the OCZ 2GB DDr2-800. Anyone know where I could find the best deal on 2GB, and any preferences on manufacturers?

The specs of the PC im going to build are:
-Case: Antec Quiet P180 Black /550Watt Power Supply
-Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLI
-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 GHz, FSB1066, 4 MB L2)
-RAM: 2GB DDR2-800 (2 x 1GB)
-Hard Drive: Raptor SATA 10,000RPM 150GB
-Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB
-DVD player (Sony Blu-Ray RW)
-Floppy Drive
-Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

I encourage any criticism on the PC as well :D

Thanks

I would put more cooling in there. The 680i northbridge tends to get quite hot. Also, about the RAM, there are different sets available so I don't know which ones you are comparing. But looking at the ones on Newegg, the OCZ Platinum Revision 2 set has a rebate which brings it down to $190 vs similar Kingston HyperX RAM for $240. The timings are 4-4-4-12 (Kingston) vs 4-4-4-15 (OCZ) which is not a very big difference at all. So get that specific OCZ kit. That's my recommendation. Here are links to both, just in case.

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN - Retail

In addition, I'd choose the X1950XT over the 7950GT any time of the day. Here is a link to one. It's cheaper than the 7950GT, but is equal (I daresay better) in all aspects.

Well actually the case that I got has 3 fans in it, and actually I chose this set up because its supposed to be cool and quiet. I'll check out some more reviews to make sure thats right. About the RAM though, here is the link to the OCZ RAM I found, I think its the same one that you found at newegg but its going for $134. Do you think I should go for the OCZ RAM, its cheaper but is it good?

About the graphics card, I've got a 22" HD monitor and so I'm hoping to run at 1680 x 1050. I don't know too much about graphics cards but the 7950GT is 512MB and the X1950XT is 256MB. I also hear that the X1950XT's stock fan is noisy and that it runs hot. The 7950GT is going for $280 at chiefvalue so I was thinking about doing that, what do you think?

Thanks!

Hmm I would check the CAS latency on the RAM before that, coz the link I posted is to OCZ RAM with a CAS Latency of 4. The one you found is probably CAS Latency 5. The lower the latency, the better performance the RAM will give. Also, the X1950XT may be 256MB, but that wouldn't make too much of a difference in games if you have a lot of RAM. It is still a better card and the X1950XT's cooler is very quiet. You must have it confused with the X1900XT, whose cooler was very noisy and bothersome. You have quite a bit of cooling and both the 7950GT and the X1950XT will run quite hot so I don't see how that will make a difference. Just spend your money wisely and get the better card is all I'll say, which is the X1950XT.

I see we have an ATI fan over here hehe... I think I might take your advice actually and get the X1950XT, really the only thing drawing me away is that its 512MB and only $40 more. Also, Im putting this machine in my room and so I don't really want the extra fans noise, but if you say its not noisy I think its a done deal :). Thanks for the help :).

I'm not a fanboy per se I'm just trying to get you the best deal for your money. NVIDIA also has some great cards in the middle-end price bracket like the 7600GT but for about the same price, the X1950XT is a better performing card than the 7950GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back