RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

uropn

Hi all

I was thinking about putting in some extra memory in my kid's pc, which takes pc133 168 pin dimms ecc or non ecc cl3 ( I know -- it's ancient, but plenty for an eight year old.) I found some cheap 256mb sticks with the same specs, but it says that they're are server memory. My question is: what is the difference and would they still work in a pc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

what are the full specs of the "server RAM" you are planning to buy?

if it's online, can you provide a link to it?

also, are you sure that your kid's PC can handle a 256MB stick? many older motherboards are limited to 128MB sticks per slot

All have on them is that they are: 256MB SDRAM DIMM registered ECC CL3
And yes this aging artifact of a PC can take 3 sticks of 256MB each

Chris

RTFM won't help me in this case. I know what type of memory I need, I upgraded it once already. All I want to know is what makes these 256MB DIMMs server RAM as opposed to PC RAM. The specs seem to be the same. They are listed as being for a Compaq Proliant server. Will they work on a PC?

I do not believe there is a difference, I am, however not sure.

Please wait for more replies before purchasing RAM

Regards,

Korrupt

ram is ram. Whether your computer is a server or a workstation makes no difference for ram. Ram does not define general usage of a computer (by itself). Of course if you have an old our outdated system and/or not enough ram ,don't expect to run the latest and greatest software / games, etc....

512mb is probably the limit for your old system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back