RAM (Random Access Memory) - "Shared Memory" , Windows shows less RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello madame and sirs,

Ihave got 128 mb ram on my pc. when i start my pc it shows 32mb shared memory. windows shows 96mb ram. i am not able to install some applications which require min.128mb ram.(windows 2000 pro)&(windows98se)

i once used KNOPPIX LIVE CD and then created some swap file as prompted..... which i deleted later on. i dint notice the ram showed my windows then. incidently i have even formatted my c: drive lateron .... but windows shows 96 mb ram

I want my ram to be fully utilised.. pls help

128 - 32 = 96

Shared memory means that a part of your system memory is used by the video card and is not available for programs. You should be able to adjust the amount of shared memory in BIOS setup. Note that you will never be able to get the full 128MB unless you get a proper video card.

HI thanx for reply.. ..
how do i come to know - am i using right video card or wrong one.
i havent installed any video card if there is one that has come on board motherboard. VIDEO CARD IS THE ONLY POSSIBILITY OR THERE CAN be other reasons also???
pls reply

Well, video signal comes out of your computer, doesn't it? :p

Add-on video cards have their own memory and they do not eat system RAM. You have a video controller integrated in your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back