RAM shows errors when more than one stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My PC has been crashing a few time with the following error "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt "c:\windows\system32\config\system". I solved the windows problem once, found out that I had two bad 256 Meg (PC2700) sticks of RAM and removed them. I kept one stick of 512 Meg Last weekend I replaced the two bad sticks (2 x 256 Meg) with another one of 512 Meg. Everything worked fine for a few hours when the same error came back. I tested the two sticks of 512 Meg individually with memtest86 and they both show NO error. But when I install them together on the Mobo and test the 1024 Meg together, Memtest86 shows some 520 errors on test #5. If the sticks show no error when tested individually but hundreds of them when tested together, I am looking at a new Mobo for my shopping cart?

MoBo:VIA P4PB 400
Pentium 4 2.4 Gz
Video: ATI 9700
Windows XP Pro
RAM 2 x 512 Meg PC 2700

Thanks for any suggestion

Sometime ram slots do go bad that may be your problem. also having a short on the mobo can casue the problem. I once had a board that would not boot if I put a ram module int he third slot. I thought the slot was bad. but it turned out one of the devices in the PCI slot was causing a short once that was fixed the third ram slot worked just fine.

Thanks ISS

I thought that might be the problem, So I switched them aroud a few time (1-2, 1-3, 2-3) and I got the same error when tested together. I also tested the individual RAM in different slot and they always came out OK. Do you know how to test a Board? Is there any software that would do this?

question?

If the memory sticks are running individual, maybe they are different in some specifications.

Did your memory stiks have the same specifications?
If the don't, they will never run together.
Only, in a single mode.

When you start the computer is the memory test going to the last of 1024M of memory?

The test must be completed twice.

If not, one stick is not compatible with the other.

Good luck for the future!

Thanks Danimur,

Yes they do have the same specification PC2700 333Mhz 512 Meg but from diffferent manufacturer. Yes, when I start the PC the test show 1024Meg. I did remove one stick last Saturday, reinstall windows for the second time in a week (When the computer crash the registry get corrupt and I can't restore Windows back to before the crash) I now run on one stick (512) and everything is A-OK, just slower. I have a few options: 1- a new MoBo or, 2- a new 1024 Meg RAM stick. I have a 50-50 chance to solve the problem on the first try.

Verify

Before you start to buy a new memory stick (which I sugest to be 1024 M in a single stick) or another Mobo, start verifying the other devices, as it was suggested by ISS previous, and I have in mind the CD-ROM drive, the Video card or an electrical shortage at your Mobo.

Let's hope these will solve your problem.

Good luck to yoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back