Ram Specs have me chasing my own tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going crazy trying to interpret the RAM specs for my new Mobo.
When i try to find the specs on Ram to buy I keep getting different spec listing and parameters. Im trying to find 2 x 1Gig Ram to max out the 2 slots on the Mobo w/ 2gig .

Computer Details are on my profile.
My board specs can be found here.

<http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=596>

This is all that is listed under Main Memory Requirements. i've been able to figure out everything up untilnow and is the last parts i need to complete the machine.

RAM requirements as listed on linked site:

Main Memory

• Available bandwidth up to 3.2GB/s (DDR 400) for single-channel mode.
• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 2.5 Volt DDR SDRAM.
• Supports up to 2GB memory size without ECC.
• Supports only x8, x16 DDR devices with 4-bank.

If someone could explain to me what they mean by 4- Bank and x8 x16?
Im guessing x8 X16 refers to how dense the ram chips are but the 4-Bank is that 4 bit? Im really lost here due to the vagueness of the specs. Im not the type that likes to exhange things otherwised id just wing a guess. Im looking at 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR at the moment but the minor details are sending me in circles as I try t make a final decision. Please help!

Well don't worry yourself to much over this. Mainly you have it right, you just need DDR 400. Most RAM purchased for home is not going to be ECC, that's usually used in servers and more important setups.

The link you gave to MSI is a bit fuddled, might want to edit that. But when I pieced it back together, I got this description from MSI:

"Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR DIMM.
• Supports up to 2GB memory size without ECC.
• Supports DDR266/333/400.
"

The "bank" is usually just the "slot". 1 slot is one bank. But that's vague :)

They say you have 2 banks, not 4, but it shouldn't matter. Really, don't worry yourself over it. Pretty much any choice of non-ECC DDR400 RAM is going to work.

If somebody else cares to get into the technical details, be my guest, I try not to think about it.

LoL I think i am thinking about it too much, I may have to use the dreaded refund policys that come with this stuff. I found one unbuffered gig chip for sale that fits with a newer MSI board and ill probally just call that close enough and try it. The whole Ram Buisness has become alot more expensive and complicated then i realized it could be these chips are going to make up about a third of the total cost of my machine :p

Link Edited in prior message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back