Ram stick ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUDEBWOY

well i got my last ram stick today so my duo core 2 mobo has 3 gig ram kingston now i still got space for 1 more gig ram but thats not the issue why does windows only pick up 2.94 gig ram when i go to control panel to see the system info any way to fix this?

Hi Rudebwoy,

download CPU-Z or Everest and see what they read for total system RAM. Windows had a bug that would cause inaccurate system RAM readings in the system properties control panel. have you updated windows?

certain mobos with integrated video chipsets continue to steal system memory even if the onboard video has been disabled. what motherboard do you have? (you should fill your system specs in your profile or in your signature so we don't have to ask you for them ;))

and BTW, you are hurting your system performance by running 3 sticks of RAM. by running an odd number of RAM sticks, you force the memory controller to run in single channel mode. you should run 2 or 4 sticks of matched RAM to run in dual channel mode for better performance (especially where you have 2 CPU cores trying to access data at the same time)

:wave:

well everest u have to pay so ill try my best with the specs..

intel duo core 2 1.3 ghz

3 gig ram kingston each slot got 1 gig each

nvidia 7600 gs pci express..

3 hard drives sea gate 250 gigs each...

windows xp pro sp2 all updates installed...

xfi extreme sound card.

550 watt charmelon psu..

dvd rw/cdrw combo drive..

dvd drive...

asus mother board not to sure which one it is but i know when it starts up it has the p5 logo etc.

you can download everest for free, it will have some features disabled unless you pay for it, but most features work with the trial version.

and CPU-Z is 100% free

The free version if you are having trouble getting it is linked here:
EVEREST Home

It is true, Home is being discontinued by the company there..

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2133 MHz (16 x 133)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3008 MB
BIOS Type AMI (07/14/06)
I see your problem.. but it does say later on that its a P5B series from Asus..

I think you need to do a BIOS update maybe? Just look at your motherboard and see if it matches any description with the ones in the Asus website..

well i found out...i need help updateing bios tho i never did it on a asus board only p4 can some one help me thanks.

Its the same/similar as you've done it before.. just download the correct BIOS and run it.

This is the tricky bit.. you have to get the correct bios for your motherboard. There are a number of models for the P5B, ranging from the normal to the deluxe and others. Installing the incorrect one may cause your mobo to become a dud.

So the first thing is to find out the model of your board. See here for details from Asus: http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?root=110&SLanguage=en-us
(if you get a different page, go back to downloads section and click on the left "How to find Model Name?")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back