RAM Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

endgame

I have a friend who, when it comes to computers has about as much knowledge as i do. He is trying to get a RAM upgrade, but he doesnt know what his currant RAM type is, weather it be DDR, SDRAM or RAMBUS. How can he find this out?

Thanks for the site. I know my next point is of the subject but i dont want to flood the place with separate threads. I am soon to have Broad Band but for the time being im stuck with what seems to be a poor quality modem. Its model is Intel 536EP V.92, this is supposed to be a 56.6k modem, but all i seem to be getting is around the 28k connection mark. Do you have any ideas on how to boost my connection speed? Or will i have to hold out for Broad Band.

P.S I have read the modem tweak guide on this site but it has made little or no difference to my connection speed.

if you live in a rural area or some distance from the main branch of your phone company you are not going to get much better connection speed. the distance you are from the main branch and the quality of the phone lines affect speed.

I have a 56K but since I am 7 miles from the main branch I connect at only 26.4

Originally posted by endgame
Would this occur if i had Broad Band? I hope not.

I don't think this applies to cable but DSL most likely. Also, if your line integrity sucks (interference, etc.) that's also bad too. (In my neighborhood we have bad line integrity). Just a FYI sorta thing. :)

boradband is limited to 3 or 31/2 miles from the main branch so it doesnt have that problem

Originally posted by endgame
Would this occur if i had Broad Band? I hope not.

No, this wouldnt happen to a BB or cable connection. My modem was a 56k and it performed like a 28.8k. Trust me, a 56k modem will never pull 5.6kbs a second. So Im meaning to say, this is perfectly normal, for a 56k modem to be that slow :( And you wont run into this problems with a broadband/cable connection :)

Originally posted by iss
boradband is limited to 3 or 31/2 miles from the main branch so it doesnt have that problem

That isn't exactly true, DSL has a limit of 2.9 miles from most specs I've read. Cable however, which was broadband last time I checked, doesn't have that limit. I know for a fact that it is further than that because the cable office for my connection is over 5 miles away, probably further in line distance, its over five straight line, which the cable does not follow.

I have DSL, and i think im around 15 miles away from my ISP.

btw, i consider "broadband" dsl or cable. i recon its the definition for high bandwith. DSL and cable fall under that :p

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Trust me, a 56k modem will never pull 5.6kbs a second.

Not necessarily. At my old house, I had a normal phone line and a normal non-biggie 56k modem. I would get 5.6kbs at a steady rate sometimes and most of the times 5.0kbs.

Well thanks for all your replys. This place is good for tips. I think i might also have found another factor contributing to my poor connection, my modem only cost £4, i think it is the cheapest one on the market. I found this quite funny for some reason, considering i payed a hell of a lot for my pc. It doesnt bother me too much though since ill be digital in a fortnight.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
I have DSL, and i think im around 15 miles away from my ISP.

btw, i consider "broadband" dsl or cable. i recon its the definition for high bandwith. DSL and cable fall under that :p

With DSL the distance from your ISP is not what is measured, its the distance from the central telephone office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back