Ram voltage/motherboard question.

By Snorrfles
Aug 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First off, my motherboard is workin great except for CMOS... For some reason i cannot save when i enter BIOS... Well this is fine and dandy, seeing as i'm not too intrested in overclocking...

Only thing is that my stock ram is set to 1.8V while the RAM cards that i got are 2.2.. Recently i discovered that one of my ram sticks was making me BSOD... So my question is, is the voltage settings the culprit of this or was it just a bad stick??? And will i be seeing reduced preformance by using the 1.8V settings???

And are there any long term effects of a bad CMOS??

And while i'm at it, might as well try to figure out what's wrong with it... Whenever i do save and exit in BIOS... Even if i didn't change anything, and i try to boot my PC it'll BSOD until i manually reset CMOS.. Does this just mean that i need to replace the battery or is the entire thing unfixable?

Help is appreciated
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Voltages do not matter. They are part of the overall design of the module. More important are the timings, the latency, and the chipset.
    anytime you have a mismatch in memory modules, you have troubles... The fastest memory module will run at less than the speed of the slowest module.
    If you have any modules that are cheap memory, you have troubles just from the fact that it is cheap memory.
  3. Snorrfles

Snorrfles Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So even thoguh the voltage on BIOS is stuck at 1.8 it's no problem even if my sticks are supposed to be at 2.2V???
  4. raybay

Where did you get the report that your sticks are supposed to be at 2.2V? Is that printed somewhere?

Different memory manufacturers build modules in different ways, depending on he density of the chips, and the requirements of their assembly lines. Some memory at 1.7 V works just as well as other manufacturer's memory at 2.8V or 3.3V. It has everything to do with design, and timings and latency, and whether ECC or non-ECC. You can have lousy memory at 3.3V and terrific memory at 1.9V. or verse visa

There are some manufacturers, however, such as ASUS, that specify exactly what brand and models of memory their motherboards are guaranteed to accept. If they specify voltage as well, that is news to me.
  5. Snorrfles

6. raybay

Asked. Answered.
  7. Snorrfles

Well you were talking about different types of memory... I'm talking about the voltage that you set up in your BIOS compared to the voltage the sticks recommend
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.