Ramdisks

By Mictlantecuhtli
Sep 26, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone of you ever use them?

I have a 50M ramdisk for browsers cache and other temporary files. For things like that, they're quite neat :). Speeds up browsing quite a lot.
    Of course, the data is lost when rebooting if the ramdisk app doesn't have an option to save the contents to hdd (mine does) but like I said, it's good for temp files. And I don't reboot often ;).
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Yes but the rest of us M$ Windoze users do unfortunately.

But I might have to look into that option. Seems like a neat idea.
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Actually, my Windows 2000 server isn't rebooted often. Only really in the event of a big configuration change or a hardware change.

Ramdisks can be pretty neat, yes.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Yes but for the average person running that M$ crap we have to reboot once every week at least........The longest I have gone is 2.5 weeks, and I think my computer wanted to blow up. Go figure.
  5. Tweakster

Tweakster Newcomer, in training Posts: 224

Well mine is lucky to stay ging for 6+ hours. So much software reguires restarts. Poor ME.
  6. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I'm working on making a "Live" Windows CD which will use a ram disk to store anything that needs to be written to (i.e registry). Is anyone interested in this project? If so, any suggestions?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.