TechSpot

Ramdisks

By Mictlantecuhtli
Sep 26, 2002
  1. Anyone of you ever use them?

I have a 50M ramdisk for browsers cache and other temporary files. For things like that, they're quite neat :). Speeds up browsing quite a lot.
    Of course, the data is lost when rebooting if the ramdisk app doesn't have an option to save the contents to hdd (mine does) but like I said, it's good for temp files. And I don't reboot often ;).

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Yes but the rest of us M$ Windoze users do unfortunately.

But I might have to look into that option. Seems like a neat idea.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Actually, my Windows 2000 server isn't rebooted often. Only really in the event of a big configuration change or a hardware change.

Ramdisks can be pretty neat, yes.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Yes but for the average person running that M$ crap we have to reboot once every week at least........The longest I have gone is 2.5 weeks, and I think my computer wanted to blow up. Go figure.

5. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Enthusiast Posts: 199

Well mine is lucky to stay ging for 6+ hours. So much software reguires restarts. Poor ME.

6. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

I'm working on making a "Live" Windows CD which will use a ram disk to store anything that needs to be written to (i.e registry). Is anyone interested in this project? If so, any suggestions?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.