Ran 8 steps, Firefox still crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firefox has been consistently been crashing on me after it has been open for about 3 minutes. I only have a few tabs open in each. Reguardless to what I do, FF still crashes like clockwork. I have ran the 8 steps, but still having this problem.

Additionally, my machine hangs on the "Windows is shutting down" screen. When I hit the reset button it starts normally. The three logfiles are attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re-run MBAM & SAS to show a clean run. It appears that your protections prevented serious harm.

"Windows hangs on shutdown" - any popup indicating which process?

Observation: you are throwing a lot at your computer. Review events logs. Analyze difference between services running from startup versus applications stopped during shutdown.

What components are you using from Symantec? Ghost is a resource hog. Firewall is coming from ZoneAlarm.

FF crashing - look at errors in the events logs.

Event Viewer info - It is an invaluable tool:

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:

1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
2. Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
3. Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should. Each Errors has three parts: an ID#, a Source and a Description. By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.
Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log
2. Look for the Error
3 .Right click on the Error > Properties >
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Vista path can be followed here:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ows-Vista.html

Thanks for the help! When I mean Windows XP hangs on shut down....I mean just that. It gets stuck at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. The computer never turns itself off, its always at that last screen.

Attached are the updated logs. I have been using Zone Alarm Pro for years as my firewall, and Symantec Antivirus. I haven't used Ghost in awhile either as I always put off updates (but obviously need it now).

I didn't know how to view the system events after the fact.....Thanks! I have been looking over the errors in the event manager and see many that repeat. Errors and updated logs are attached.

This confirms what you already know - it is clean.

Since this forum has been reorganized to deal with malware, your issues with FF and 'Windows hang on shutdown' will not benefit from wider exposure here. I suggest new title and a different subforum. Since the issue involves crashes & video drivers, I would choose the 'Window OS'.

In general, the usual latest drivers, latest patches, etc. Then the other wave comes at you - roll back drivers, uninstall/reinstall newest software.

Your descriptions are solid - including the logs. My approach is go with latest & greatest.

Rich

Stalling at shudown is frequently a problem in closing network connections.

Get a Copy of Cports from http://www.nirsoft.net; run from an Admin Account.

Close all application and the launch Cports

you'll see all active connections and you can (if necessary) close any/all of them.

The real solution will be to determine which connection does not close normally

Stalling at shudown is frequently a problem in closing network connections.

That was partly why XP was created as network hang on shutdown was a famous bug in windows 2000.

So this is not a network hang bug in XP........

I suggest reboot PC and after bios flashes away then immediatly at windows logo
hold down and keep holding down the left SHIFT KEY while it boots.

Yes hold it down through the entire boot until at desktop.
Once at desktop you can let go of the shift key.

The left shift KEY is an undocumented Microsoft trick to bypass all startup files durring boot time. If pc hangs or does not boot into windows while holding left shift down then you neeed to do more things...... waiting for your reply.

Thanks to you all! Everything seems to be working fine now. Inachu, I tried your trick, and my machine still started normally. When I first posted my comments, I was getting numerous messages from Symantec AntiVirus real-time protection that I had viruses that it couldn't deal with. Apparently, there were a few things that MBAM and SAS caught that Symantec over looked.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back