Random 0x8e and 0x50 BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I seem to be having a problem with BSOD which started to occur a few days ago. :( I ran across these boards whilst searching for answers (yet finding none) and the folks around here seem to have a grip on how to decode BSOD dumps.

My setup:
Athlon64 3000+ @ 1.8ghz (Winchestor core 90nm)
2x512mb kingston pc400 valueram (in dual channel mode)
Gigabyte k8ns 939 ultra motherboard (nforce3 ultra chipset, realtek ac97 audio, sata, 8x agp etc)
radeon x800xt (256mb, agp)
320gb seagate 7200rpm hdd
400w silentpower psu

The system is at stock speeds with the ram timings being set by spd. With the current weather conditions here (cold) and the low heat disipation of the athlon64 processors, the cpu rarely hits 20C above ambient and that is with an hour or so of constant compiling being done.

I have done a bit of sleuthing about with the dumps and windbger.
The 0x8e bsod is always:

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (8e)
--snip help text from windbg--
Arguments:
Arg1: c0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: bf80195d, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: aedeaba4, Trap Frame
Arg4: 00000000

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

FAULTING_IP:
win32k!HMAssignmentLock+3b
bf80195d ff4f04 dec dword ptr [edi+4]

The error is always at the same address with win32k.sys. The process name usually varies with whatever I may be doing at the time.

I do not have a full memory dump from a 0x50 bsod but there are several minidumps which I have attached from the 0x8e and 0x50 bsods. There are also a few from when I turned on the driver verifier, those dumps did not help me any but may help if someone looks at them. (Sandra is mentioned in a few of the dumps but I have removed it due to the Sandra service causing faults in verify).

I have tested my ram with the ms memory diagnostic software for a few runs but have not run into any errors. I am going to leave my computer running memtest86+ overnight tonight to see if I can get any errors from the ram. I have changed the harddrive on which windows was installed to rule out the harddrive from the equation. I also tried removing all the hardware from my system that I could while still being able to boot windows.

On a sidenote, Prime95 crashes when run in torture mode when it is set on blended. I don't know if its related to my computer or to selinux in fedora but a kernel compile in fedora5 fails with a bad kernel being produced (it doesnt however bomb out in the compiling, just in the linking).

Summing it all up, I have not as yet discovered a way to produce these bluescreens other then to use my computer normally. These bluescreens can pop up multiple times within an hour or not at all during an entire day of use. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post the results of the overnight memtest if anything interesting occurs. Thankyou for reading.

note: the zips of the mini-dumps are in chronological order (or should be anyhow) 1 being the oldest set, 3 being the newer.

I would once more run MemTest86, but for four hours or 7 passes. If still good, I would suspect the video card or the driver for the video card. I would also take a close look at the CPU fan, and other possible heat issues.
I would also rethink the Sandra errors.
Do the errors only occur while gaming?

I have run memtest86+ for 15hrs+ (about 25 or so passes) and not one single error. I have not tried any 3d accelerated games lately due to none being installed at the moment (fresh install of windows xp :\). WRT heat, the cpu has not passed 31C with a few hours of compiling behind it, the gpu is hovering around 30C at the moment at idle. I have thought that it may be the video card and have been waiting for a time where I can swap the card with another computer for a few hours or days to see if the errors continue on my machine or follow the video card. :\

I un-installed Sandra due to the verifier errors and I still get bluescreen errors at random.

As I may or may not have mentioned in my first post, the bsod actually occur rather randomly without any particular (at least to me) cause. Hence the reason behind me being baffled as to why they occur :\

As Memtest isn't perfect, try running with just one stick of RAM at a time. Swap them over if it still crashes, or after a period of time where it hasn't crashed.

Reinstall your video card drivers as they don't seem to be right. Run Driver Cleaner beforehand.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

bf9d5000 bfa17000 ati2dvag ati2dvag.dll Mon Dec 12 12:41:03 2005 (439CF14F) <--**2005**
bfa17000 bfa51000 ati2cqag ati2cqag.dll Mon Dec 12 11:33:42 2005 (439CE186)
bfa51000 bfa87000 atikvmag atikvmag.dll Mon Dec 12 12:04:22 2005 (439CE8B6)
bfa87000 bfa99000 atiok3x2 atiok3x2.dll Thu Jun 14 02:41:06 2007 (46703A42) <--**2007**
bfa99000 bfcffc00 ati3duag ati3duag.dll Mon Dec 12 12:25:08 2005 (439CED94)
bfd00000 bfdd2900 ativvaxx ativvaxx.dll Mon Dec 12 12:18:37 2005 (439CEC0D)

Be careful with Driver Cleaner. It can do more harm than good. It is a relatively unsophisticated program that has only been tested on a few boards. It offers no technical support, and a lot of disclaimers. We have seen major issues with it.
You will need a good UnZip program for it as well.

First, download your drivers. You will benefit from downloading from the video card manufacturer site AND from the motherboard site or computer manufacturer site if different. It is also useful to download the previous version as well as the current version.
When downloads are complete and verified, remove the exisiting drivers from the Device Manager... rather than overwriting them.
Now install the new downloads. It could be that any one of the four drivers will do the best job... computer manufacturer version, motherboard manufacturer version, video card manufacturer current version and video card manufacturer previous version... or it is possible that none will repair the problem, and you will need to look elsewhere. It is possible that your video card is bad... about 7% of them are....
Then get on the phone with the tech support people.

I will fix the driver issues there. I was checking if the older 5.* catalyst drivers would fix the issues at hand, it appears the driver uninstaller for the 6.* catalyst drivers didnt uninstall correctly :\

Is there any utilities that I should use to test my video card or should I just use something like 3d mark or ati-tool?

Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back