TechSpot

Random black screens and a suddenly slow computer

By crazymad0
Nov 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Basically, yesterday, I was trying to sort out printing something, because for some reason Word doesn't recognise the fact that my printer was connected.

I searched for a solution and someone suggested it may be drivers, so I downloaded a few sets of drivers for my printer.

I left them to install, and while I was waiting, I heard an odd clicking sound. I'm not sure if it was the computer or the printer, but ever since, my computer has been slow at loading. I googled this and it said it was a HDD issue, but chkdsk is fine.

Booting is fine but when loaded, but then whatever I click, takes forever to load, at least much longer than usual.

I'm doing a virus scan, and am uninstalling things but is it worth doing a system restore?

Today my screen has blacked out a couple of times leaving nothing but a mouse cursor too.

I started doing a Windows Update yesterday, but it wasn't working so I stopped it and I did install a few things so could it just be worth a system restore, or should I follow through with updates and possible try updating video drivers?

This laptop is farly new, so I don't want it to break already.

Specs:
    HP Pavilion dv6-3103sa
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), 2.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    GFX Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
    Display Memory: 2165 MB;
    Dedicated Memory: 503 MB
    Shared Memory: 1661 MB

Anybody able to offer any solutions or help? I Just want to nip this in the bud really.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

What is the make of your harddrive? If you can, back up everything NOW.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.