Random black screens and a suddenly slow computer

Basically, yesterday, I was trying to sort out printing something, because for some reason Word doesn't recognise the fact that my printer was connected.

I searched for a solution and someone suggested it may be drivers, so I downloaded a few sets of drivers for my printer.

I left them to install, and while I was waiting, I heard an odd clicking sound. I'm not sure if it was the computer or the printer, but ever since, my computer has been slow at loading. I googled this and it said it was a HDD issue, but chkdsk is fine.

Booting is fine but when loaded, but then whatever I click, takes forever to load, at least much longer than usual.

I'm doing a virus scan, and am uninstalling things but is it worth doing a system restore?

Today my screen has blacked out a couple of times leaving nothing but a mouse cursor too.

I started doing a Windows Update yesterday, but it wasn't working so I stopped it and I did install a few things so could it just be worth a system restore, or should I follow through with updates and possible try updating video drivers?

This laptop is farly new, so I don't want it to break already.

Specs:
HP Pavilion dv6-3103sa
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), 2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
GFX Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Display Memory: 2165 MB;
Dedicated Memory: 503 MB
Shared Memory: 1661 MB

Anybody able to offer any solutions or help? I Just want to nip this in the bud really.

Back