Random black screens

giostyl

Hello,

I have been having a lot of black screens, my computers starts up fine. This problem has never occured before and just started happening recently. When my screen turns black I hear a disconnect sound. My Nvidia drivers are up to date. There doesn't seem to be a specific trigger either, just happens randomly, sometimes when browsing the web and other times when gaming.

Here are my pc specs

Intel core i7 4770k (water cooled)
16 gb ram
Gigabyte 980 windforce oc
Windows 10 64bit
Samsung 850 EVO 240gb and samsung 840 EVO 120Gb
Two western digital HDD's 1TB and 2TB
700 (could be 750 but I forgot) watt psu
MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Thank you,
Giovanni

Please use a utility to track temperatures and voltages - need range (min and max).

My guess is 'heat', so use the system for 30 minutes before capturing the ranges.

Here are the results again but I waited about 45 min without closing the program to get better results.Utility 3.png Utility 4.png

The EVO 850 is a little warm - probably need to clear the ventilation path (cables, etc), but the +12v with min of +11.0v and max of +11.176v is way below specification.

Inspect wiring and connectors very carefully, remove and reinstall video card and power connectors and check again. If you have a multimeter, check the 12v rail. 12v should range 11.92v to 12.08v.

We are looking for anything which might be messing up that rail - but it is likely you need a new PSU.

MSI has a PSU calculator which could help.

Could you please explain what you mean by "but the +12v with min of +11.0v and max of +11.176v is way below specification"

Since this probably is a psu issue, I think I should mention that my room doesn't have grounding. I get shocked quite often by usb ports.

Is there something I can do about the +12v thingy? Maybe it is underpowered because of the psu? I hope so because it's a recent motherboard so it's a shame if it only lasted a couple of months. Thank you for the help so far.

Is there something I can do about the +12v thingy? Maybe it is underpowered because of the psu?
Yes, Follow steps outlined above. If not fixed and voltage tests at less than 11.4v, replace PSU.

We are looking for anything which might be messing up that rail - but it is likely you need a new PSU.

MSI has a PSU calculator which could help.

I have already ordered a new psu, so hopefully that solves the problem but I think it's weird that the sound continues or is it the gpu which loses power and shuts down?

I just noticed that my pc now also makes hissing noises and when I stress test my gpu using furmark I hear a buzz.

Is it normal when having a black screen that the audio keeps going?
No. In my experience, it can happen if there is a problem with the audio driver OR with the video hardware.

Just replace my psu and nothing changed, I still only have 11v on the +12v rail.

What did the multimeter show?

I just noticed that my pc now also makes hissing noises and when I stress test my gpu using furmark I hear a buzz.

Repeating: Please correct your grounding problem before you become a crispy critter.

Back