TechSpot

Random boot problems

By sol1109
Oct 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Moherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R
    Memory: CRUCIAL CT2KIT25664AA1067 (DDR2)
    uP: Core 2 E8500 3.16GHz
    Hard Disk 'C': WD5000AAKS
    Video: Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH
    PS: OCZ600MXSP
    Overclocking: Not intentionally

About 60% of the time I am experiencing a number of power up/boot problems. These include continuous beeps (memory indication). Reboots before loading windows while beeping or processing post messages. Freezing during splash screen or during login profile load. Once the PC is running it will stay running for the duration of being powered up. These will sometimes disappear for several weeks at a time.

I have tried running the extended memory test and it freezes. The only message I have been able to get is "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you need to contact the computer manufacturer."

Since I am the manufacturer can anyone help me identify what hardware problem is being detected?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I have tried running the extended memory test and it freezes"...

Your memory is the hardware being detected... Replace it first, their may be other issues

3. sol1109

sol1109 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 43

While trying to test individual memory sticks the problem went away by just reseating the memory. There have been no problems for three weeks.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Good work, thanks for the update :)