Random boots, DVD drive acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelgadis85

Help! No POST: Random boots, DVD drive acting weird

Hi everyone! I'm having some serious issues on my sister's computer. Yesterday the computer was running fine, albeit the CPU was running rather hot (according to SpeedFan) and we decided to clean up today in order to make it run with more acceptable temperatures.

But after cleaning the CPU fan and plugging the computer again, starting up would have either one of these two effects.

1) Computer boots fine, but soon (10-30sec after boot) shuts down. This happened not so often, and not at all now.

2) Computer starts up, all fans spin, but no beeps are heard (computer probably doesn't boot correctly). DVD drive beeps every once in a while, as if it was trying to read a faulty disc (no disc inserted though).

Before the computer died completely (as it is now) the BIOS showed temperatures of: CPU around 40 degrees Celsius and System (I take it is something like the case's temperature) was around 30 degrees.

I will post the computer specs later today when I retrieve the warranty papers from my sister's house.

We have tried just about anything that could come into mind (and we had resources for):

-Replacing the PSU (taking the one from my own computer)
-Replacing the RAM (same as above)
-Disconnecting all "unnecessary" stuff (optical and hard drives, network card, sound card, heck, I even took out the graphics card to check if it would help)

The computer won't go into the POST stage, and when the display is connected, it just goes into power saving mode, whether the computer is running or not.

I'm pretty sure somehow either the motherboard or the CPU is fried, but would like to hear from the forums before I take it to the shop where I bought the parts from and say, "Hey, the computer is dead, mind fixing it for me?" or something :D

There might just be something small I have not taken into account, but seeing as I have worked on it for a few days already, I'm pretty sure I have covered everything that comes into mind. Therefore help is appreciated (as always). :)

Thanks in advance.

Although I don't personally like bumping threads like this, I'd really like the help seeing as I only have until tomorrow evening before I must take the computer back to the store (My sister has need for that computer within one and a half weeks, I take it that fixing the computer might take around one week...)

I will edit this post later and maybe post the specs here or something. (Or does this forum allow deleting posts after further replies are added?)

I would replace the thermal past on the cpu heat-sink/fan before doing anything else.

Bruce2 said:
I would replace the thermal past on the cpu heat-sink/fan before doing anything else.

Done, but thanks for the tip anyways.

I'll be taking the computer for repair (hopefully warranty will cover the fees) and thus conclude this thing as solved. It's a bit sad how I only got one response, but I still think of this site as my number #1 place for looking for help.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back