TechSpot

Random BSOD

By kasparesky
Sep 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello :)

I've been having some BSOD's recently and I'm not sure what is causing them. I have checked my system as mentioned in the post "Before posting your minidumps, please read this"

All seems to be as it should, the one hardware component that might cause this is my OS HDD, it started to make weird but not so frequent screeching noises a while ago. Today when the PC crashed I heard the drive switch off and turn on again. Windows didn't find any errors/problems when checking it, also tried Speedfan's S.M.A.R.T. in-depth online analysis, no errors.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

I'm going to take a stab at this... What is the make and rating of the power supply? This could be a power supply issue

3. kasparesky

kasparesky TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's a be quiet! 530W PSU, but wouldn't a bad PSU force the PC to turn off? like when power just cuts off?

Quick update, I re-installed my audio and video drivers, did a clean driver install removing all the old crap, which might have been the cause for BSOD. I had a problem with my HDMI not outputting sound, tried different methods which involved messing around with audio drivers and ati drivers, in the end it was an easy fix just by uninstalling Ati HDMI Audio driver and disabling deep sleep in registry for my HD 7950.

So far no crashes or BSOD, I will update if that changes.

4. Tmagic650

"It's a be quiet! 530W PSU, but wouldn't a bad PSU force the PC to turn off? like when power just cuts off?"... Power supplies can fail in many ways causing trouble just like you have

5. kasparesky

How can I check if it's faulty? I don't want to invest into a new PSU without making sure.

6. Tmagic650

"So far no crashes or BSOD, I will update if that changes"... See what happens with this first

7. kasparesky

Hello again, it seems that the BSOD issue is still here.

Things I've done since my last post:

1) CMOS
    2) bios update
    3) New OS HDD WD C Black
    4) New PSU Corsair TX650M

re tested my ram with memtest86 one stick gave errors, took it out. Tested remaining 3 sticks (each seperatly) with memtests 86+, no errors.

I've attached recent Minidumps, any help would be appreciated, at this point I'm seriously fed up with my system, have pulled most of my hair out and don't know what to do :(

The latest minidump occurred during Prime95 stress test.

Attached Files:

8. Tmagic650

"re tested my ram with memtest86 one stick gave errors, took it out. Tested remaining 3 sticks (each seperatly) with memtests 86+, no errors... How much memory is installed now. What is the model of the motherboard?

9. kasparesky

3x2 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333
    Asus M4A77TD PRO

10. Tmagic650

Ahh... ASUS motherboard. So did you originally have 4x2 GB's installed? Now with 3 modules, you've lost dual channel capability. Asus motherboards are more sensitive to memory configurations, than other boards

11. kasparesky

Originally I had 2x2Gb, but later bought another 2 sticks (identical to what I had), now I have 3 sticks installed. I thought I would loose dual channel, although cpu-z says I still have dual channel unganged, Should I remove the third stick? And in case of upgrade just buy 2x4GB ?

12. kasparesky

BSOD from today

Attached Files:

13. Tmagic650

"And in case of upgrade just buy 2x4GB ?" Yes and unganged means dual channel is not active

14. kasparesky

I will take the 3rd stick out and see if the system is stable, thanks for your help.

15. Tmagic650

2GB is really not enough memory for Windows 7 SP1. 4 GB is the minimum. I have 16GB installed

16. kasparesky

When I take the third stick out I will have 2x 2GB = 4GB, I might buy a 8GB kit (2x4GB) and swap the memory out.

17. Tmagic650

Okay, 4GB will work

18. kasparesky

Still BSOD's, no matter what ram configurations I try so I've decided to build a new system, this one is clearly done it's time.

Looking for feedback, how does this build look?

Will buy:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
    I-5 4670k
    G.Skill [SNIPER] F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 kit 2x4GB 1600mhz

Already have:

Corsair TX650M
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950
    WD C Black

19. Tmagic650

Looks good...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.