Random BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having frequent and totally random restarts lately. Sometimes it will be fine all day and others it will restart 10 times in an hour. It doesn't really seem to matter what I am doing, if I am am asleep and the screensaver is on or if I am playing World of Warcraft. It's already done it while I was trying to post this. I've gotten all kinds of stops: 0x24, 0x9c, 0xc5, 0x24, 0x8e, 0x0a, 0x7f. So, I ran memtest for 3hrs and came up error free. I was doing some more research and decided to run verifier.exe, it gave me this error: "stream.sys (wdm driver error 22e) [stream.sys+705a @ F75fe05a]" the first time I ran it so I removed then reinstalled that driver. Now when I try to run verifier.exe it gives me a stop 0x0A when I restart. I have to boot into safe mode (safe mode also crashes) and disable verifier before I can boot windows normally again. I have my minidumps in a .zip file, but i can't seem to upload them here. I would gladly email them to anyone who asks.

My PC:
WinXP Pro SP2
Athlon XP 64 3000+
Abit AX8
1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS DDR400
Geforce 6200
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w power supply
C: Maxtor 100gb SATA/150
D: WD 80GB EIDE
Benq DVDROM
TDK 440n DVD-RW

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t know why you can`t upload your minidumps.

Is the zip file larger than 100kB?

Techspot has a limit of 100kB for attachments, so you may need to attach several zip files.

We only require 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps.

Hope this helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3 minidumps crash at afd.sys. Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock. They have bugchecks of 8E/0A/D1 respectively.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrnlpa.exe. Nt & kernel system file. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at win32k.sys. Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at SAVRT.SYS. Symantec/Norton AutoProtect. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at SYMEVENT.SYS. Symantec Event Library. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at SYMTDI.SYS. Symantec/Norton Network Dispatch Driver. It has a bugcheck of 50.

It would seem that your Symantec/Norton security product is causing most, if not all of your crashes.

This is not surprising, given the fact that it is such a crap programme.

I advise you to completely uninstall your Symantec/Norton crapware, and try using a different security product.

AVG free antivirus, and the Zonealarm free firewall are both good alternatives, that wont hog your system resources.

You can get them HERE and HERE

Regards Howard :)

Ok, went thru my add/remove and anything that had anything to do with Norton got removed. Rebooted and got 2 more BSODs. Here is my latest minidump.

Your latest minidump crashes at KSecDD.sys. Kernel Security Support Provider Interface. It also references wmccds.exe as the owning process. Windows Media Connect

Description: wmccds.exe is a process installed alongside D-Link and Roku media playing devices, and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

The bugcheck is 4E.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

For the rest of your bugcheck codes see HERE

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Instructions for replacing the page file, can be found in reply #11 of the above link.

I uninstalled Windows Media Connect and replaced the page file but still no luck. I had already found that webpage a few days ago, the problem is all the stop messages that I get seem to get point to bad RAM or a bad driver, but don't really seem to say how to tell which one it is.

Have you checked you mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors? See HERE for further info.

You said in your original post, that you were getting bugchecks of 0x24, 0x9c, 0xc5, 0x24, 0x8e, 0x0a, 0x7f.

I didn`t find any of those, apart from the 0A, and 8E in your minidumps.

Obviously the most important bugchecks are the 9c, and 7F.

Both point to somekind of hardware problem.

This could be any hardware, including the ram/psu/mobo/cpu/videocard etc.

From your minidumps it did look as though Symantec/Norton was the culprit. Obviously this would seem not to be the case.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram. Also, try putting the ram in a different dimm slot.

Check your system temps.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back