Random BSODs, bad USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryboto

I've had this ax8 board for some time. Previously, I'd been using an av8. Here's a run down of what I've experienced. With all the default devices enabled in bios, random irq/driver irq not less than or equal BSOD's. Disabled on board FDC, still bsods. Disabled onboard LAN, still bsods. Disabled IDE controllers, still BSOD's. I've tried a pcie and pci card, still bsods. Tried SATA 3&4, still BSODs. I replaced my USB keyboard/mouse with an old ps/2 keyboard and mouse, unplugged my usb headset, and it hasn't crashed since...

Granted, I've only had it on for an hour. The only difference between the hardware I was using when I had the AV8 installed was the video card. with the AV8 I was using an x800 pro, with the ax8, i've got an x800xl. cpu heat isn't an issue, neither is gpu heat. ram is perfect, was previously running it at very tight timings with the av8 at 430mhz. As far as the specific bsod errors go, it's almost always an irq/driver irq not less than or equal, even though the stop codes aren't always the same. They never save dump files, instead the system just freezes at the blue screen. Any suggestions as to how I can diagnose further would be appreciated.

system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3700
Abit Ax8(latest bios)
ATI Radeon X800xl
zalman 9500/vf900
1GB Mushkin XP4400 DDR550
36 GB SATA WD Raptor
160 GB Samsung Spinpoint
NEC 3520A
Lite-on 16x DVD player
Lian Li PC-V1000
Enermax Noisetaker 485W

I don't know if it's reserved in the bios...but my theory might be bad anyway. Last night while i was sleeping it crashed again. Didn't say irq, didn't say anything, just had the default text, and an 8E stop code. restarted, saw it again just after I logged in, restarted, happened before I could log in, restarted, turned off all usb controllers, logged in, and now I'm waiting again. I've basically shut of everything outside of the serial and parallel ports, which aren't being used. Could the chipset be bad?

well, with the usb controller disabled, it blue screened again. Stopcode was A this time. There must be a hardware problem? I even tried to install Vista using an older hard drive but the same hardware otherwise, and it crashed a few times during install, blue screens, then just randomly crashed during use. I'm in safemode with networking, which I'm not sure means I'm safe from bsods, as last night I was in safe mode with networking, and it gave me a blue screen. I'm pretty certain the wireless card I use is fine, I have been using it since may with my av8 motherboard, and had zero blue screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back