Random BSOD's/Crashes after reapplying thermal paste

Hello everyone,

so the thing is that Im getting random bsod's and crashes, most of them don't even show the blue screen and pc just "stops" and restarts, sometimes bios doesn't show up (have to turn off power), sometimes pc boots again.

It all started about 1 year ago when I needed to reapply thermal paste because of high temps on graphics card and processor, temps were fine after reapplying. I also reseted bios (switched jumper on mb and took off battery while manipulating with cpu and graphics). At first boot I've set up bios and booted to win. All ok.
But one problem showed up next day. After turning on pc bios detected "new" cpu and showed this message "New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system." "Press F1 to enter setup" "Press F2 to load default values and continue". I just entered setup, checked config and saved it. Next day this showed up again, entered setup and ESCaped right away.
So I tried to search for some solutions, I've read about trying to reseat cpu heatsink (so I did) and turning off the error messages in bios (but that won't solve my problem, so I didn't do that) and some other tips that didn't seemed useful for my problem. After reseating it the problem with message dissappeared. After some time it came back. So I just reseated heatsink again.
This is happening over and over again for about a year now. Sometime it lasted fixed 1-2 months, sometime 1 week, 2 days, etc, etc.

Now to the issues that brought me here actually.
About half year ago or more, I started to get 0x00000124 STOP bsod's. As I figured out they are caused by that bios message with new cpu. After that year I became lazy to reseat heatsink all the time, so I was just skipping it by F1 in and ESC'ed out and when I was doing that, those 124 stop bsod's were happening. When reseated, message dissappered and no bsod's happened.

About a month ago or so, bsod's became more serious.
I started to get various bsod's/crashes where suddenly screen goes black and pc restarts (sometimes bios shows and win boots, sometimes it doesn't as I said before). Reseating heatsink doesn't help anymore in preventing bsod's. In addition to the 124 stop's I'm now getting some new different bsod's, that I never had before.
Still most of the times blue screen doesn't show up and also most of the times minidumps are not created. So I have few of them at the moment (will add when new are created).
Last week or two when Win boots up, pc pretty much everytime crashes in like 5-10 minutes after booting. After that other bsod's/crashes are completely random. They happen while playing games, while browsing internet or when pc is idle.
I also have photos of about 3 bluescreens that stayed on screen till I hard reseted pc, so I can send them if needed.

System:
Windows 7 64bit
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
Memory A-DATA XPG G-Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 AX3U1333GB2G8-AG
Graphic Card XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB (HD-577A-ZHFC)
PSU FSP Blue Storm Bronze 500W
Hard Drive Western Digital Black WD7501AALS-00E8B0 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

For information, I've never had single bsod or crash before reapplying the thermal paste. PC will be 5 years old in 3 months. So about 4 years without a problem.

Anything in PC is NOT overclocked in any way, everything is on stock settings and controlled by bios/drivers.
BIOS is updated to latest version, graphics card drivers also.
In fact, everything that was needed to be installed 2 years ago, when I was reinstalling Windows, I downloaded the latest versions from internet (I mean the hardware drivers now, like chipset, soundcard drivers, etc.). There are no newer versions now as the hardware is old.

I tried memtest86 (2 tests with over 10 passes), cpu and graphics stress tests (no bsod's/crashes druing tests), CHKDSK, SFC (didn't repaired anything), everything completed without any errors or problems.

Im including zip's with 5 latest dumps and also some dumps from May.

Thanks for help.

Im sorry for this super long text and my english too.

TLDR
Im having problems with a lot of random bsod's/crashes after reapplying thermal paste, during last month more of them than ever. For more info read text above.:p

Attachments

• latest_dumps.zip
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • minidumps_from_may.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
I have yet to reinstall the Windows Minidump files tool so I can't read what you've attached, but 0x124 always means a hardware issue. It could be the power supply issue which can be easily tested by a multimeter. They are not expensive at all. If you have never tested a psu before perhaps friends that are tech knowledgeable can do it for you.

The way you describe these errors though it sounds like faulty RAM especially with all of the various BSOD codes you are getting. Keep in mind bad RAM can pass memtest. Try running the the test one stick at a time.

Run the Western Digital hard drive test on said hard drive. it is free. make sure you run the Long test.

By the way, your English is fine. :)

Thanks for replying,
what exactly should I test PSU for ? Voltages and something else ? I can test it on oscilloscope too.
Yesterday I've ran memtest for 6 passes, no errors, I'll run it for one stick at a time tonight.
And with the WD test, I did the short and the long one too and no errors as well.

Any chance that the problem with the cpu being identified as "new" is because you flashed to a later version BIOS? Unless there is a specific need such as manufacturers' advice it's best to ignore a BIOS "update."

Any chance that the problem with the cpu being identified as "new" is because you flashed to a later version BIOS? Unless there is a specific need such as manufacturers' advice it's best to ignore a BIOS "update."
I don't think so, because I flashed to latest bios version when I was reinstalling Windows.
Problems appeared about one year after that, when I reapplied thermal paste.

The rule of thumb concerning Memtest is a minimum of 10 Passes and more if possible. Most people will run it over night and check it the next morning. I have run it longer myself on occasion and didn't get errors until the 11th or as much as the 15th Pass. If you even get one error there is a RAM issue.

You can pick up a Multimeter from the likes of Radio Shack or Sears. Make sure it is digital! I purchased a Craftsman from my local K mart for $22.00. Here is a short video what you are looking for:

Also: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

I like this one:
You don't have to take your psu out of the case to test the cables but you do need to disconnect all power cords to all hardware. data wires can remained attached.

Edit Update: This guy identifies all the plugs:

Last edited:
Back