TechSpot

Random BSODs on a new PC

By Faile
Oct 10, 2005
  1. Hello all,
    after 3 months of getting crazy over my PC problems I finally found this forum and reading a bit gave me new hopes of solving them.
    I built a new PC 3 months ago and since then I get random BSODs, there is no correlation between them, I get them while working, gaming or even when I am not at the PC at all.
    I already tried switchign around ram sticks (got 2 gig in 4 sticks so that was easy to do and I doubt all ram sticks are faulty) and still got the BSODs in every config. I switched harddrives, switched my satellite receiver card to an external USB2.0 box, turned off USB2.0 in BIOS, turned off every non-essential on board stuff in BIOS, set all performance settings in BIOS to slow settings, turned down RAM settings, uninstalled lots of software, updated drivers, exchanged the on-board soundcard with a creative X-FI, installed a water-cooling set to keep the CPU and graphic card even cooler (they weren't running unusually hot before but I did it just in case and cause I ran out of ideas), I reinstalled windows, bought a new high-end Powersupply.....nothing helped in any way, still got the BSODs, sometime after 3 days of stable uptime.
    I am absolutely out of ideas, except CPU, Board and graphic card I exchanged pretty much everything.

I attached 5 minidumps, a few recent ones and a few older ones. Since I have no idea how to read them I can only hope one of you guys out there can help me and safe my sanity :haha:

Thanks in advance
    Faile

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

if one of your memory sticks is faulty then simply switching them around isnt going to solve the problem. have you tried running with 1 gb of ram instead of 2 gb? that may or may not be the problem since your problem is sporadic. which could mean a faulty mobo component(s). check the capcitors on your mobo for swelling or leakage.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Two of your most recent minidumps crash with memory corruption.

This is a sign of faulty ram.

Take out all your sticks of ram, and clean the contacts with an eraser. Blow away the remnants, and replace one stick at a time, and test your system.

You might want to test each stick of ram using the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is a pre-built iso version available, that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Please note. Some faulty ram can pass memtes86+.

If memtest finds errors, then your ram is bad.

Test each stick untill you find the culprit.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. Faile

Faile TS Rookie Topic Starter

Morning,
    thanks for the fast replies.
    The switching around was prolly not the best expression ;), I meant that I tried running each pair (so only 1 Gb of the total 2) solo, but it crashed with either pair.

Could it be a fault on the board leading to the memory faulting ?
    I already have a new mainboard on order and it should arrive today, but I think I will try each ramstick for itself with memtest before I switch the mainboard.

Gonna report back later.

Thanks
    Chris

5. Faile

Hello again,
    I tried running memtest, came out fine.
    Since I got the new board I put that in, ran fine from tuesday to today but I got 2 BSODs today (I did nothing special, everything I did today I did the last few days). It's kinda strange, it always runs a few days with no problems and then suddenly 2-3 BSODs in one hour then everything is fine again for a few days.

I attached the newest minidumps, would be great if someone with more understanding of these things could check them out.

Thanks
    Chris

6. howard_hopkinso

Both of your latest minidumps crash at UDSTDrv.sys.

I can`t find any info for this driver. Do you have any type of tv card etc hooked up to your computer?

Do you recognise the above driver?

Regards Howard :) :)

7. dugawug

dugawug TS Rookie Posts: 89

i'd be interested to see how you come out, i'm in nearly the same boat.
    i'm very close to replacing the RAM, but suspected the mobo would be less likely. i also have the minidumps ponting to bad RAM, yet they pass memtest, which i understand can happen.

i'm suprised you didn't try new RAM first before a new mobo? anyway, hope you and I both get it fixed! if i buy new RAM, i'll let you know how it goes...nothing worse than buying something new and finding the problem still there!

8. Faile

Wow, fast answer :)

Howard, I think it belongs to my USB Sat Receiver box. Might that be the culprit ? I saw the driver mentioned and looked it up before, but since I get so many different BSODs I wasn't too sure if it might still mean some other problem.

Hey dugawug, welcome to the BSOD Anonymous ;) I didn't try new RAM since I have 4 512mb sticks and I sincerely doubt all 4 sticks are faulty so I tried them in single or duos but it crashed the same each time. The board was just the cheapest part to replace for testing (and I am much happier now with the ABIT AW8 instead of the Asus PW5 (or whatever their high end 955 chipset board is called) I had before, so that was a nice exchange even if it didn't resolve the BSOD issue).

Chris

9. dugawug

dugawug TS Rookie Posts: 89

ok, well, my situation is different i guess in that my system seems to run fine for days with just one stick, either one!! but put both and eventually the BSOD will come :giddy: :giddy: it's making me insane!

anyway, hope your problem gets solved!

10. howard_hopkinso

It could certainly be A culprit.

Try disconnecting it, and uninstalling the software for it, and see what happens.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.