Random BSODs on a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
after 3 months of getting crazy over my PC problems I finally found this forum and reading a bit gave me new hopes of solving them.
I built a new PC 3 months ago and since then I get random BSODs, there is no correlation between them, I get them while working, gaming or even when I am not at the PC at all.
I already tried switchign around ram sticks (got 2 gig in 4 sticks so that was easy to do and I doubt all ram sticks are faulty) and still got the BSODs in every config. I switched harddrives, switched my satellite receiver card to an external USB2.0 box, turned off USB2.0 in BIOS, turned off every non-essential on board stuff in BIOS, set all performance settings in BIOS to slow settings, turned down RAM settings, uninstalled lots of software, updated drivers, exchanged the on-board soundcard with a creative X-FI, installed a water-cooling set to keep the CPU and graphic card even cooler (they weren't running unusually hot before but I did it just in case and cause I ran out of ideas), I reinstalled windows, bought a new high-end Powersupply.....nothing helped in any way, still got the BSODs, sometime after 3 days of stable uptime.
I am absolutely out of ideas, except CPU, Board and graphic card I exchanged pretty much everything.

I attached 5 minidumps, a few recent ones and a few older ones. Since I have no idea how to read them I can only hope one of you guys out there can help me and safe my sanity :haha:

Thanks in advance
Faile

if one of your memory sticks is faulty then simply switching them around isnt going to solve the problem. have you tried running with 1 gb of ram instead of 2 gb? that may or may not be the problem since your problem is sporadic. which could mean a faulty mobo component(s). check the capcitors on your mobo for swelling or leakage.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Two of your most recent minidumps crash with memory corruption.

This is a sign of faulty ram.

Take out all your sticks of ram, and clean the contacts with an eraser. Blow away the remnants, and replace one stick at a time, and test your system.

You might want to test each stick of ram using the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is a pre-built iso version available, that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Please note. Some faulty ram can pass memtes86+.

If memtest finds errors, then your ram is bad.

Test each stick untill you find the culprit.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Morning,
thanks for the fast replies.
The switching around was prolly not the best expression ;), I meant that I tried running each pair (so only 1 Gb of the total 2) solo, but it crashed with either pair.

Could it be a fault on the board leading to the memory faulting ?
I already have a new mainboard on order and it should arrive today, but I think I will try each ramstick for itself with memtest before I switch the mainboard.

Gonna report back later.

Thanks
Chris

Hello again,
I tried running memtest, came out fine.
Since I got the new board I put that in, ran fine from tuesday to today but I got 2 BSODs today (I did nothing special, everything I did today I did the last few days). It's kinda strange, it always runs a few days with no problems and then suddenly 2-3 BSODs in one hour then everything is fine again for a few days.

I attached the newest minidumps, would be great if someone with more understanding of these things could check them out.

Thanks
Chris

Both of your latest minidumps crash at UDSTDrv.sys.

I can`t find any info for this driver. Do you have any type of tv card etc hooked up to your computer?

Do you recognise the above driver?

Regards Howard :) :)

i'd be interested to see how you come out, i'm in nearly the same boat.
i'm very close to replacing the RAM, but suspected the mobo would be less likely. i also have the minidumps ponting to bad RAM, yet they pass memtest, which i understand can happen.

i'm suprised you didn't try new RAM first before a new mobo? anyway, hope you and I both get it fixed! if i buy new RAM, i'll let you know how it goes...nothing worse than buying something new and finding the problem still there!

Wow, fast answer :)

Howard, I think it belongs to my USB Sat Receiver box. Might that be the culprit ? I saw the driver mentioned and looked it up before, but since I get so many different BSODs I wasn't too sure if it might still mean some other problem.

Hey dugawug, welcome to the BSOD Anonymous ;) I didn't try new RAM since I have 4 512mb sticks and I sincerely doubt all 4 sticks are faulty so I tried them in single or duos but it crashed the same each time. The board was just the cheapest part to replace for testing (and I am much happier now with the ABIT AW8 instead of the Asus PW5 (or whatever their high end 955 chipset board is called) I had before, so that was a nice exchange even if it didn't resolve the BSOD issue).

Chris

ok, well, my situation is different i guess in that my system seems to run fine for days with just one stick, either one!! but put both and eventually the BSOD will come :giddy: :giddy: it's making me insane!

anyway, hope your problem gets solved!

I think it belongs to my USB Sat Receiver box. Might that be the culprit ? I saw the driver mentioned and looked it up before, but since I get so many different BSODs I wasn't too sure if it might still mean some other problem.

It could certainly be A culprit.

Try disconnecting it, and uninstalling the software for it, and see what happens.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back