Random clicking in background + I randomly can't open programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is that I can run my computer, however it is slower than usual, I hear random clicking which throws me off of the page I'm looking at, and randomly my computer goes into this mode where I can't open anything new, including firefox, task manager, or w/e else. I've scanned (while in safe mode) with spybot, ad-aware, and hijackthis and only found unrelated things. Heres the log:

What is the deal?

Right, you're in safe mode. You should scan with hijackthis when it happens (But it's hard to do...)

When this happened to me, it was with Win9x and it was because no more RAM was available. Have you changed something with the swap file lately?

Tried an anti-virus? Tried Ewido?

DragonMaster said:
Right, you're in safe mode. You should scan with hijackthis when it happens (But it's hard to do...)

When this happened to me, it was with Win9x and it was because no more RAM was available. Have you changed something with the swap file lately?

Tried an anti-virus? Tried Ewido?

I have not recently changed something. I used avg... didn't catch anything. I may try ewido later. New log while I'm running the computer normally:

if you have a lot of clicking, you hard drive is working too hard with a page file and/or is searching for a file. In addition to what Howard suggested, I would also defrag the hard disk and add more memory if you have less than 512mb.
Also if you have a second hard disk, put the page file in the second hard disk or partition along with your temporary internet files. You primary hard disk partition will fragment less.

Another possibility is that your hard drive is failing. Are you able to identify where that "clicking" is coming from? Many hard drives will start clicking when they are on their last legs. If you suspect the noise may be coming from your hard drive, back up everything asap, and run a diagnostic on yours.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

edit: Tedster!!! You got there first. Grrrrr :haha:

the clicking is not coming from my actual harddrive, its coming from my computer. It clicks a few times, as though I'm clicking with my mouse but I'm not. Usually popups follow and then it goes into the "cannot open anything state"

I will do what you all have suggested and report back.

False,

Try looking for a topic on this forum called "Random clicking and music playing in background" (I would post a link but it won't let me) it may provide some insight. I had a similiar problem not to far back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back