Random computer crashes (I think it's the RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD Atholon 64 3400+ @ 2.2 GHz
MSI K8N Neo-FSR
512 DDR-SDRAM pc3200 Samsung
ATI radeon 9600xt

Hi, I built this computer almost a year ago and ever since it's had been restarting at what seemed to be random. I

think it may be the ram, since when I ran memtest on it, it had non-stop errors but the errors stopped when I

increased the memory voltage to the next setting. I still get random crashes though, even when memtest shows no errors, and I know that just because it doesn't report any errors, there are none. It is more likely to crash if I've been playing mp3 files. I suspect it is most likely the ram, but I want to be sure because I don't have extra money to go spend on ram then find out it is something else, although I do plan on buying more ram regardless. Anyway, I'll attach some minidumps that I can't get much from. Maybe something esle is wrong and somebody more experienced with these sorts of things can help.
well, thanks for your help and time if you do so.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can confirm that the most likely culprit is ram.

3 minidumps crash with memory corruption, and a bugcheck of 4E.

3 minidumps crash with memory corruption, and a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at kmixer.sys. This is your Windows Kernel Mode Audio Mixer. It has a bugcheck of 50.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Make sure your system isn`t overclocked in any way.

Make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo.

Try putting your ram in a different dimm slot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I haven't overclocked the computer in anyway, so it's not that. I've tried the ram in a different DIMM slot before, and that didn't change anything.

About the ram being compatible with the motherboard. The type of ram is supported (pc3200 ddr400) but the brand isn't under the list of supported brands. When I bought the computer, I didn't think the brand of ram would matter (to an extent, no need to buy a crappy brand) nor did I see any list on the motherboard manufactor's website.

Again, thanks for checking this out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back