TechSpot

Random computer shutdown

By Technochicken
Jun 7, 2008
  1. I build my computer about six months ago. The other day, I turned on my computer, and as windows was loading, the power cut off. I thought it was just a temporary power outage, so i tried to reboot. during the post, before windows started booting, the power cut off again. it has been doing this since then. If i wait a while before i try to boot again, it will get farther before it turns off, and if i power on over and over, it takes less time to turn off every go. I run vista with 2gb of ram, PD overclocked to 3.5ghz, a gforce 8500 with 256 mb vram. I have a 500 watt power supply, and it has worked fine for 6 months, so everything should be getting sufficient power. It is plugged into a surge protecter, so the power outage should not have damaged any of the components. I don't think it is overheating either, becasue the mobo's beep code says that everything was working during the post, and usually the fan keeps the cpu at around 40 degrees C. Can someone please tell me what might be wrong, because i have no idea.

2. emrandsl08

emrandsl08 TS Rookie

Try installing XP, i think the OS might have some Bug!,

I had power shutdown few weeks ago, but the problem was my TT 500W just blew up and i replaced it with another one.Sometimes, your PSU gives power but it actually is somewhat damaged or can't sustain the power for long, it had that situation once 6 months ago, and again i had to replace another PSU.

I am confused but, it would be good if you tried on a new PSU.

3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 729

I do not think vista is the problem, because the computer often shuts down way before it even starts to boot from the hard drive. And can't install xp because it shuts down before I even get the chance to boot from the disk

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.