Random crashes and BSODs on XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tostapane

Hi there.
My PC is more than 3 years old and it never gave me much problem. A month ago I started experiencing random application crashes to desktop and BSODs while using Windows XP Home. Most of the BSODs were the infamous PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I also found some
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, some SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and even a MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS. Since most of the crashes happened while I was playing games, I first blamed my video card. I updated its driver (Omega 5.10) but nothing changed. Crashes, BSODs, crashed, BSODs. Then I tried almost everything: I updates every driver on my system, I checked my RAM with MemTest86 (for 9 hours!), I made a surface scan of my hard disks, I ran every diagnostic and benchmarking tool existing on Earth, I removed components which could have caused problems (like a very old CD-ROM player), I even reinstalled Windows. Nothing. Always games crashing to desktop, always BSODs in the most unpredictable circumstances (even while I was writing this post). I made some (very) rough analysis through WinDbg and I tried to narrow my search for the cause of the instability to:
- faulty video card
- faulty mobo
- faulty RAM (strange, since MemTest didn't show any error, but possible)

I've attached some minidumps so (hopefully!) some of you can have a look at them and help me solving this situation.

My configuration:

Athlon XP 1900
80GB Hitachi HD (primary)
160GB Seagate HD (secondary)
1GB PC2100 RAM (2x512MB)
Ati Radeon 8500
Terratec SixPack 5.1+ audio card
Epox EP-8KHA+ motherboard (VIA KT266A chipset)
Sony DRU-700A DVD recorder

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Some of your minidumps are crashing with a hardware problem..

Try running with just one stick of ram in your system. If the crashes continue, try the other stick of ram. Also try using different dimm slots. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

Make sure your system is not overclocked. Check to see if your psu is providing enough power for your system.

No doubt as you are aware. Diagnosing a hardware problem can be very difficult.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi,

Two of your minidump is crashed with bucket_id CPU_CALL_ERROR. According to my record, they are the symptoms of of faulty motherboard, video card or PSU. Download the 3D Mark and stress test your video card. You also install ZonAlarm and your version of ZA may conflict with some software such as eMule and crash windows.

Mini112505-05.dmp
STACK_TEXT:
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
ef0748c8 bf805482 bf99e690 a4010a24 e2da69c8 0xce895417
ef0748ec bf806cf2 bf99e690 0000ffff bf80c4c1 win32k!DC::erclClip+0x17
ef0748f8 bf80c4c1 00000000 bf810239 e2da69c8 win32k!DC::vReleaseVis+0x2c
ef07490c bf81028a e1c0a250 00000000 00000000 win32k!bDeleteDCInternal+0x10f
ef074928 804de7ec a4010a24 00129ecc 7c91eb94 win32k!NtGdiDeleteObjectApp+0x88
ef074928 7c91eb94 a4010a24 00129ecc 7c91eb94 nt!KiFastCallEntry+0xf8
00129ecc 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x7c91eb94

FAILED_INSTRUCTION_ADDRESS:
+ffffffffce895417
ce895417 ?? ???

POSSIBLE_INVALID_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from bf80547d to bf805417
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: hardware
IMAGE_NAME: hardware
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
STACK_COMMAND: kb
BUCKET_ID: CPU_CALL_ERROR
Followup: MachineOwner
---------
*** Possible invalid call from bf80547d ( win32k!DC::erclClip+0x12 )
*** Expected target bf805417 ( win32k!ERECTL::ERECTL+0x0 )

Faulty M/B
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic32555.html
Use a more powerful PSU
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic36556.html

howard_hopkinso said:
Try running with just one stick of ram in your system. If the crashes continue, try the other stick of ram. Also try using different dimm slots. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

I've already tried to swap slots: nothing changed.
When I bought the PC, I had only one 512MB stick. Last June, I bought the other one. I tried running only with the only one and crashes continued, but I forgot to try only the other one. :blush: I will try and see.

howard_hopkinso said:
Make sure your system is not overclocked. Check to see if your psu is providing enough power for your system.

I nevere overclocked my system and I've already changed PSU (my first, and wrong, guess on what was the culprit of the crashes :blush:). I have a 300W unit, which I (wrongly?) think it's enough for my configuration.

howard_hopkinso said:
Diagnosing a hardware problem can be very difficult.

Sadly, I know. :)

Thanks, bye!

cpc2004 said:

It's a pleasure, I already read tons of posts written by you trying to find what was happening to my system. :)

cpc2004 said:
Two of your minidump is crashed with bucket_id CPU_CALL_ERROR. According to my record, they are the symptoms of of faulty motherboard, video card or PSU. Download the 3D Mark and stress test your video card.

I have tried another benchmarking program (Fresh Diagnose) and once it generated a BSOD, but twice it ended correctly. I'll try 3D Mark.

cpc2004 said:
You also install ZonAlarm and your version of ZA may conflict with some software such as eMule and crash windows.

I'm already using ZoneAlarm (6.0.667.000) and it never showed signs of conflicts.

Thanks, bye!

Hi,

If your m/b has on-board video, de-install and remove ATI. If it does not crash, the display card is the culprit.

cpc2004 said:
If your m/b has on-board video, de-install and remove ATI.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. And I have nobody who can borrow me a spare video card. I can try the one of my old PC, but it's a veeeeeeery old Matrox G400 16MB. I could use a try, but I don't know if it's useful.

gary_hendricks said:
Are your sticks of RAM compatible with one another?

They're exactly the same. Same brand, same timing, same size, same everything. :)
I surely will try to install RAM incrementally and I'll keep you posted.

Some capacitors near the CPU seem slightly bulged, but I didn't find any leaking debris on the mobo. I also tried every combination of my two RAM sticks (only the old one, only the new one, the two of them in different slots) and crashes still stand. Since MemTest didn't show any errors, I think that RAM is good.

If you`ve got bulging capacitors, this is a sign that you mobo is about to fail.

I`m not saying that this is the cause of your problems, but it very well could be.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
If you`ve got bulging capacitors, this is a sign that you mobo is about to fail.

I`m not saying that this is the cause of your problems, but it very well could be.

Yesterday I made the last attempt: I put in my system my old video card. Same crashes. Since BSODs and freezes increased in the last two days (25-30 by day O_o), I definitely think that the mobo is the culprit. Next Thursday I'm buying a new PC. :)

Thanks a lot for the help, without you I would have wasted tons on money on buying a new video card thinking that my Radeon was dying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back