Random Freezes

By lcoperfield
May 20, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I get random freezes at my PC. Mostly the PC just freeze and the image at the screen just stays there and u have to reboot the hard way... Some times it may crash. I know its a hardware problem and i really suspect the PSU. I upload the most recent minidumps but most of them were never created as the PC just freezes. The minidumps are only from crashes i guess... Could u help me out here? any help would be nice.

Gigabyte mobo dont remember the exact model, Pentium D 3.2, 4x512 Kingston 400 Mhz, Nvidia 7800GS AGP, 500 Watt PSU (not a firm.... not even its creator knows it...)
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Inside the 5 MiniDumps:
    OPlease download, create bootable disc, of memtest, and run for 7 Passes
  3. lcoperfield

lcoperfield Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 22

I ran it and i get countless errors but i think its a slot that is problematic. is that possible? i get errors only when i insert a module in a specific position
  4. kimsland

Yes, it could be the Motherboard
    You should try blowing out all internal dust
  5. lcoperfield

i cleared all problems continue... i also noticed that whoever assembled the pc is using 24pin cable for a 20 pin slot in my mobo.... Could this be the reason for all these problems? could the voltage be too low for example?
  6. kimsland

The extra pins were designed to aid in the power consumption used in PCI cards (namely AGP and PCI-Express)

But I'd replace it with the right one, if I were you.
  7. lcoperfield

I ll replace the PSU (i would change it anyway... ) and tell u about the results. thnx for the help so far m8.
  8. lcoperfield

ok now i ll drive u crazy... it was the fan from the cooler tha was shortcircuiting every time the fan was going above some certain rpm... i replaced the cooler with the default intel and everything is fine... was lucky to find it...
  9. kimsland

Yes I've had that before
    I think it took me about 3 days bench testing to work it out
    Well done :)
  10. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,336   +49

Well done, but recognise that overheating may have shortened the life of whatever that fan was cooling. Are you fully prepared backup-wise for a complete failure ? If not check out drive image software, invest in a second hard drive for backup purposes.
  11. lcoperfield

I backup all my important files on an external HD. ty for reminding me though m8 ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.